2N hitch optical illusion.... maybe....

Absent Minded Farmer

This picture rotates through my screen saver quite often & it just occurred to me that the hitch from the chopper to the tractor doesn't look right. Initially, it looks like it's high up in the air. Like it might be on the 3pt drawbar with the arms all the way up.

Which brings up some questions:

Would the stabilizers even hold if it was up that high?

If the arms are up, what's holding the mower up? Is there a lockout on those old Dearborn side mount mowers?

Shouldn't we be able to see the left lift arm somewhere between the back of the seat & the right fender?

Is the drawbar on the chopper swung out all the way & it's just an optical illusion?

That is a 2N? Best I have to go on is the four holes in the middle of the grill. It's been a while since reading up on the N series & about 25 years since owning a late 8N.

Mike

cvphoto155722.jpg

First off its a 9n judging by the wheels.
Second its probably a Dearborn 14-3 mower.
If youll go to the manuals section of the other Ford club site you can see how its mounted. Tons of information on that site. Most are pdf file manuals and I cant link ya directly.
Walt

That Waukesha probably weighs at least half as much as the tractor. Wonder how much tongue weight is there? Wrestling with the one at the tractor show, trying to get it on the tractor, is an adventure in weightlifting.

Mike

The pins on the upper lift arms are removed, leaving the links resting on the axles, the drawbar is held in place by the stabilizer bars that go to the top link bracket from the end of the lower lift arms, and the mower is raised and lowered by a cable and pulley arrangement that goes under the right side of the tractor to the right-side upper lift arm. Mark.

The chopper pole is not attached high on the tractor. It is the offset that makes it look that way. The sickle bar is raised by a cable as Mark posted. When not in use it was pushed up higher and held by a rod with an "eye" on the end IIRC. As a 15 year old it was all I could do to push it up and at the same time secure the rod.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back