(quoted from post at 21:58:02 10/31/09)
(quoted from post at 21:52:15 10/31/09)
(quoted from post at 21:15:00 10/31/09) I"m completing a very long 2N restoration. For two days I"ve been trying in vain to start the engine. I just found that its not aspirating because there is a gap between the manifold and the block caused by interference of the two tappet covers. They appear to be projecting slightly up behind the manifold and its gasket, so I"m sucking air through a gap instead of from the carburetor. I know I can fix it by slightly cutting back the flange on the covers, but why is this condition present? Certainly Henry"s engineers did better than this.
The block and covers are a replacement for the former cracked block, and the serial number is from "43. The cover flange is the same width on both top and bottom, and its bolt/nut allow no up/down positioning.
Any ideas why this is so? If I must, I"ll cut the cover to fit, but it just doesn"t seem necessary.
Its not the manifold are the covers,,, I will let those that blame it on the parts help ya to chifer it out,,, its a simple EZ fix no grinder needed
I am thinking the same as Hobo on this (I think), but since I have never dealt with a replacment manifold, have kept my mouth shut (so far).
I think I will run my mouth a little, but don't hold me to this....
Seems I [b:ce0830e7d2]may[/b:ce0830e7d2] have encountered a similar problem on my last rebuild if my CRAFT is serving me correctly, and it was a, "how could this be".
But now let me tell you the leading up to this part.
I cleaned, and straightened my valve covers (on the anvil, and other ways to get the [b:ce0830e7d2]"spring"[/b:ce0830e7d2] back in middle of them), and put a little Ultra RTV Blue on the covers, and on one side of the cork gaskets, and put the gaskets to the covers, and let them set.
No RTV on the engine side of the cork gasket, only on the tin cover side, and that is just to hold them in place.
Put the valve covers on.
And then went to put my manifold on, "what the 'Ell"?
Ok, no problem, loosen the valve covers, put the manifold on, and then tighten the valve covers back down. And they fall into place.
Now the valve covers don't need to be that tight to seal this way.
Your mileage may vary.....
The "spring" in the middle of them, and them being in the original shape, is important, and if you tighten them too tight, you spread them.
HTH.