2pt-3pt conversion ? on 300 U

300 dave

On my 300 U I have the 2pt fast hitch.and the 3pt conversion for top link. I have a couple sets of 3pt adapters that go in the 2pt sockets. Problem is the the 2pt "Y" frame is rigid and will not allow flex to hook up 3pt stuff. For example a simple flat draw bar can't be mounted unless I pull the bolt/pin on one side and in effect bolt it in except on the draw bar the mounting pins/bolt are integral. So, the only way to mount to tractor is to assemble the draw bar in the 3pt adapters and then poke it all into the 2pt sockets at the same time.
I have come into several pieces of equipment with 3pt hook up that are simply too big for such nonsense, ie back blade, York rake wood splitter.
Did I miss something? Or it this why the 2pt hitch has gone bye bye ?
What is the cure? Mount every thing with actual bolts? Cut a notch or notches so the 3pt "pins" will drop in from the top?
I am sure about every body who has a 2pt hitch has delt with this. What is the cure?
thanks in advance.
dave

The two point is 28 inches wide. That is the standard Category 1 three point width.I use two seperate 'prongs' and a seperate top link type of 'adapter'.I can hook up to just about any three point equipment,just like a common three point..I back up just far enough that the points will only go about two inches into the socket. I the n hook up the balls to the pins. I then finish backing up till the latches snap.However,there is enough slop that I can sometimes use a bit wider equipment.In regards to your adapter,I have never liked them.I had the same issues as you.I much prefer two seperate 'prongs' and a seperate top link type of 'adapter'.

thanks D Red. I think the whole "fast hitch" thing is a myth. Mt two bottom plow will "fast hitch" if all is on hard dead level ground. Otherwise it don't line up and requires a couple trips on and off the machine to get it on.
Same with the 2pt adpt prongs. Unless in the sockets they flop around with NO hope of backing in/on. Too much man handling. Used to be a fun challenge - now it just hurts and P's me off.
Oh yeah. my latches stopped popping in years ago. I'm so disappointed in the whole system I don;t see any fixing that in my future.
thanks again
d

I found these Vintage IH adapters about 15 years ago. They are sized for Cat 2 pins, so the need for the bushings.
20240512_105028[1].jpg

thanks D Red. I think the whole "fast hitch" thing is a myth. Mt two bottom plow will "fast hitch" if all is on hard dead level ground. Otherwise it don't line up and requires a couple trips on and off the machine to get it on.
Same with the 2pt adpt prongs. Unless in the sockets they flop around with NO hope of backing in/on. Too much man handling. Used to be a fun challenge - now it just hurts and P's me off.
Oh yeah. my latches stopped popping in years ago. I'm so disappointed in the whole system I don;t see any fixing that in my future.
thanks again
d
I am 67yrs old and I have been hooking up fast hitch stuff since before I can remember in all kinds of places. But I do try to always unhook somewhere reasonably level. And keeping the prongs lubed helps. I absolutely love it- easy-peasy. The only thing I get off for is to hook up a PTO, or mower chains. As far as 3pt stuff, I made some adapters that work but I mainly use on a spinner seeder or something light. The style that Cub 149 illustrated is the best kind- it works like those 3pt quick hitch adapters they sell- back under and lift up. My bigger tractor has 3pt and it is harder to hook up. Mark.

Cub149 -- YES That is similar to what I was thinking about making/modifying. I was thinking of a bolt across the top to close the hole. I can weld one up. Great minds think alike.
Anyplace I could buy something like those?

Cub149 -- YES That is similar to what I was thinking about making/modifying. I was thinking of a bolt across the top to close the hole. I can weld one up. Great minds think alike.
Anyplace I could buy something like those?
IH designed the fast hitch for fast hitch implements. Any 3pt adapter is going to be a compromise of some sort.

$219 gets you a set of these off Ebay, from several different vendors.
1715599856977.png

all you need is an anchor for the top link.

I have the top part on the machine - rock shaft ? for toplink hookup. All the equipment have toplink hitch point as well.
so I think I'm good to go

I have the top part on the machine - rock shaft ? for toplink hookup. All the equipment have toplink hitch point as well.

is this maybe better? its cheaper

1715610078555.png

Attachments

• 1715609946778.png
    1715609946778.png
    855.6 KB · Views: 6

On a 300u the top link hook up on the 'rockshaft' (that rotates as you raise and lower implements) is for the special IH plow -u f2 - that is specific for the 300u. That plow needs a top link, which controls the angle of the plow points. It is also used for the sickle mower designed for the 300u. For 3pt implements there was/is a top link bracket that bolts up into the 3 5/8" holes above the PTO. That gives the correct geometry for 3pt linkage and its operation. I own a 300u -ran it since I was very young. If you have pictures of your equipment I can help answer questions. Mark.

On a 300u the top link hook up on the 'rockshaft' (that rotates as you raise and lower implements) is for the special IH plow -u f2 - that is specific for the 300u. That plow needs a top link, which controls the angle of the plow points. It is also used for the sickle mower designed for the 300u. For 3pt implements there was/is a top link bracket that bolts up into the 3 5/8" holes above the PTO. That gives the correct geometry for 3pt linkage and its operation. I own a 300u -ran it since I was very young. If you have pictures of your equipment I can help answer questions. Mark.
Yup, that "top link" attachment point exists due to the lack of underbelly clearance on the Utility models for hydraulic depth control like is found on the Farmall.

is this maybe better? its cheaper

View attachment 70876
That is a modern quick hitch, which doesn't address the geometry that Mark is talking about.

You're still going to have a problem with the 3pt implement tilting forward and backward as it is raised and lowered.

Quick hitches are also not universal. They only fit quick hitch compatible equipment. The only thing that's "standard" on 3pt is the pin diameters for each category. Other dimensions were just suggestions and could vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Quick hitch compatible is a fairly recent standard.

IH designed the fast hitch for fast hitch implements. Any 3pt adapter is going to be a compromise of some sort.

$219 gets you a set of these off Ebay, from several different vendors.
View attachment 70837
I have bought these adapters from this site. DON'T DO IT! Everyone of the sets they have were made wrong. I'm fairly certain that a guy made these in his home shop and produced as many at a time as he could. The stop blocks are an inch to far forward. I called up customer service telling them what was wrong and showing them pictures. The "quality control people said that every set measures the same and that the set I had was just a bit off. So they sent me a second set. Exactly the same measurements as the first. So customer service told me they didn't want to send me another set and that quality control had put the ones I sent back right into stock. Another thing about the prong set is that they are 1" wide stock, the receiver is 1 1/4" so there is a good amount of side Play. I ended up keeping the second set and will be modifying them at some point in order to make them usable. Also to make them a little more user friendly I am going to move the blocks that the pins set in forward 10".

The first pictures are of the first set they set me.the 3rd is of the fast hitch slot. Picture 4 is a prong from a fast hitch rototiller, those prongs were the ones available from IH to weld onto any brand equipment. The prong stops need to be 9" from the front of the cutout the lock drops into.

Attachments

• IMG_20240129_123006521.jpg
    IMG_20240129_123006521.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240110_162203320.jpg
    IMG_20240110_162203320.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20231228_155616424.jpg
    IMG_20231228_155616424.jpg
    921.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20231228_155930574.jpg
    IMG_20231228_155930574.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Mark Robke

thanks I will work on that (pics) may not get to it tomorrow tusday. I have wonder about that geometry of the lift given the wide variety of attachments

This is what I have for my Super C. It appears to be made in a mfg. plant instead of home-built. I got it out of a throw off lot that a friend of mine has for all the IHC tractors that he has. He just let me have it. I had to cut the prongs down to the smaller size.

Attachments

• 3 point 3.jpeg
    3 point 3.jpeg
    883.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 3 point 4.jpeg
    3 point 4.jpeg
    945.4 KB · Views: 9
This is what I have for my Super C. It appears to be made in a mfg. plant instead of home-built. I got it out of a throw off lot that a friend of mine has for all the IHC tractors that he has. He just let me have it. I had to cut the prongs down to the smaller size.
Any time I've ever seen one of those sell at an auction, a fist fight usually breaks out. You owe your buddy about $300, LOL.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back