3 foward/1 reverse

tumleweed

Member
Howdy, the block numbers are 8N158209, I have read a few times that the 8N has the 4 speed trans, I assume that would be 4 foward/1 reverse. Is this correct info?
 
(quoted from post at 20:36:51 09/08/12) Howdy, the block numbers are 8N158209, I have read a few times that the 8N has the 4 speed trans, I assume that would be 4 foward/1 reverse. Is this correct info?
That's correct. Most likely an 8N engine transplanted into a 2N/9N if you have 3 fwd.
I don't find anything wrong with that. Works fine.
Rear hubs look like these?

9N/2N center hub
10656.jpg
 
(n/2N have 3 forward and one back um up gear and the 8N has 4 forward and one back um up gear. But you can take an 8N engine and bolt it to a 9Nor 2N transmission and be good to go. So if you have A 3 speed transmission and an engine that says 8N then you got your self a mutt tractor as in one made form 2 or 3 others. Have a friend that had a 9N/8N tractor. Had the late side mount distributor 8N engine on the parts of a 9N tractor
 
my junk looks like this, would it be possible to have the 3 speed trans top plate on a 4 speed trans? it has the running boards mounted to the trans and what I think is the less desirable early steering box, and does not have a proofmeter on the dash.
a81758.jpg
 
weedie........NO, the 4-speed 8N has a separate steering gearbox. The 3-speed 9N/2N steering is part of the tranny top cover. The engines are interchangeable but the steering gearboxes are NOT. ........Dell
 
that doesn't sound right but I'll have to check for sure, I want to say reg H pattern with R left foward. the rear fenders are not Ford script but the hood is script. lol I think it might have been someones parts tractor they unloaded on my dad.
 
haaaa, Dell you have showed me something new corse it's all new to me but my steering gear box is seperate from the trans top plate.
 
(quoted from post at 21:13:24 09/08/12) that doesn't sound right but I'll have to check for sure, I want to say reg H pattern with R left foward. the rear fenders are not Ford script but the hood is script. lol I think it might have been someones parts tractor they unloaded on my dad.
Early 8Ns did not have the scripted fenders, later ones did. I was referring to the picture.
I think you have an 8N and maybe missed a gear.
3 speeds had Reverse all the way to the left and back, don't slip!
Clutch and left brake on the left, right brake on the right.
8Ns had the clutch alone on the left, both brakes on the right, reverse left and up.
Here's a picture of the top cover on my '48.
Your serial number would make yours a '49.
R-4-1 across the top, 2-3 on the bottom with nothing below Reverse.

10657.jpg
 
I see an 8N in this picture. Looks to be an early one since it appears to have a front mount distributor. You do know they are not made to shift on the fly. You come to a stop to shift into each gear
 
I see an 8N in this picture. Looks to be an early one since it appears to have a front mount distributor. You do know they are not made to shift on the fly. You come to a stop to shift into each gear

The picture that he posted is not his tractor, he has already said that. The 8N in the picture that he posted is obviously a side mount distributor 8N.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top