3 point top link spring removal?

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
I wanted to remove the heavy spring on the 3point top link but when I went to take it off, it appears to be connected to something inside the trans. Newbie here-why can't I take it off?

Also, I wanted to take the lower lift arms off, but when I went to remove them, the nuts spin. How do I remove them?
 
The big spring is held on by a plunger (that is connected to linkage inside the lift cover) and the "T" shaped end that hooks to your top link. These are usually VERY stuck and require heating it to red hot with a torch and lots of penetrating oil. DO NOT attempt to brute-force unscrew the "T" shaped end or you will only succeed in snapping the punger, damaging the internal linkages, or both.

The lower lift arm pins are spinning because the nuts that hold them in place INSIDE the axle housing are loose. You can entirely remove the left side axle housing, remove the differential gear, and get to both of these nuts. They torque to a full grunt of 150 ft. lbs.

HTH,
Dan
 
1'st... R&R of most of the tractor is covere din the I&T fo-4 shop manual.. so check your copy.

Now.. why do yuo want to disassemble the draft spring and toplink rocker.. etc?

Also.. on the lower lift arms.. did the nuts spin on the shaft.. or did the entire shaft spin. if the shaft spun.. you are in for some work as you will be pulling the left axle trumpet to get at the coter-keyed castelated nuts to retorque them.. etc..

If the nuts spin onthe shaft because they are stripped.. you can split them ( nutsplitter) or cut them off carefully with a hacksaw blade.

if the shaft threads are kind good.. chase them.. or possible rethread to a smaller thread.. or drill em out for a keeper pin and add a few large washers. Newer fords use this method.. IE.. pin on arms.. etc.

Or.. you can replace them as mentioned above.. etc..

soundguy
 
I was going to take them off to paint them, that's all. Guess I'll have to just paint them on there, since I don't wanna get into the project of taking the axle trumpet off, right now.
Thanks
 
I'd not take the draft spring off just to paint.. You can break parts on the lift cover if you are not carefull.

Also.. If the shafts spun inside the axle trumpets.. there is a good chance they will leak now...

Soundguy
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top