3000 Generator Amature Wire HOT

86LG4T5

Last year the Ford 3000 voltage regulator went out. I did all the tests and replaced it. It worked fine for the past year since then. Now the generator light is back on and at 1200 RPM the voltage at the battery doesn't change at all from 12.6V. So I disconnected the field and armature connectors to test the generator and noticed the armature connection was crusty and black. The rubber boot is melted on the end, and the blade connector on the generator is crusty and black. Hoping this just needed a little sand paper to fix a corroded connection I did that but still no dice. Stopped any further tests until I get an opinion. Anyone know why that connector would look like that?

Turns out when I was using the emery board I opened up the plug connector to the Armature post and made it too loose. Crimped it on right and light went right off. I bet that's why it got so hot too. Loose connection.

That'll do it. Which is why it never should have been a spade connector to begin with. The same problem happens a lot with the two B terminals on the regulator.

I would bet that loose connections have caused more electrical components to be replaced that any other single cause. I bet they have also burned down more houses than anyone would believe.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back