310 Backhoe Oil Pan Removal

I'm in the midst of working out the kinks in my 310 backhoe. I have been replacing water pump gaskets, steering cover gasket and changed out all hoses to eliminate the leaks. My oil pan gasket is seeping so I want to drop the pan, replace the gasket and clean out any sludge in there.

Are there any hints that I should know about this? Or is it just straight removal of the bolts. I did read that I should use a jack to support the weight of it...

Thanks for your help.
 
You'll definitely want a jack. as they're pretty heavy. Does that machine have the engine oil filter in the pan? If so, you have to remove the cover, filter and the filter cannister before reoving the an. If not, it should be just an unbolt and drop it deal.
 
Thanks, the engine is the 3 cylinder that has the external oil filter on the front right side. Any other thoughts on this? Thanks again for your reply.
 
Just be careful not to drop anything on yourself, and make sure you do a good job of cleaning off the pan rails, pan, etc before going back together. I like to use just a touch of silicone (literally a small dab) on the joints where the block meets the front cover and the rear seal housing just to fill any tiny gaps that might exist there. Other than that, I stick the gasket to the pan with spray Hi-Tack to keep it in place, and make sure all the hardware is good and snug. A little blue loctite on clean bolts will help keep everything tight, and depending on what I use to tighten the bolts as far as an impact and whether or not I'm using an extension, I sometimes go back over the bolts with a torque wrench to make sure they're tight. I used to do it on every pan, but I guess I've gotten lazy. If I can get right on the bolts with a socket and my 3/8 air impact, I usually call that good. If I have to use an extension, I double-check them after using the impact.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top