310 Backhoe

I have an early 310 3 cylinder backhoe.
I have changed out many parts, hyd filters, hyd oil, air filter, engine oil, etc.
The engine runs strong.
When I changed out the engine oil, the oil was totally black. The new oil has turned black after running for just a short time. Should I change out oil a few more times, or is this just normal and change it out after a set number of hours. I dont' want spin a bearing or blow a rod. Thoughts?
 
Does it smoke? Black smoke would indicate fuel system problems (normally injector nozzles) which contribute to oil getting dirty as you describe.
Injection timing timed too fast will also contribute to oil turning black quickly.
 
Yes, it is diesel.
It had some black smoke before I changed out the air filter. Now it is running pretty clean.
I wonder about the injectors, since most other items have been pretty worn, perhaps they need to be changed out??

Thanks for your thoughts...
 
And it will get blacker as you go. Every diesel I have ever owned would make my granddaddy cringe by the time I change the oil in them- usually around 150-200 hours.
 
One mechanic told me that if the oil turns black it means it's doing it's job. That said, I've had diesels that turn black very quickly and others that take a couple hundred hours to turn black. If the engine runs good otherwise,don't worry if the oil turns black.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top