3110d Knuckle Seal Replacement Problems

Hi,

I followed the instructions provided by Mark S. from Pittsburgh, and used the same parts to re-assemble (new style). When I took it apart, it only had a single seal and O-ring (no wear sleeve, no brass collar).

I ordered the parts required from Hoye Tractor. During re-assembly, I noticed that the wear sleeve (AS-4279) fit loosely on the spindle housing (I didn't have to press it into place). I placed a small amount of silicone sealer on the inside of the wear sleeve and held it into place while the silicone cured. After re-assembly, I found that oil was leaking between the wear sleeve and the spindle housing.

I took it apart, and I found that the machined diameter of the spindle housing is 58.6mm. The inside diameter of the wear sleeve is 59mm, probably the cause of the leak.

Should I re-assemble with an oil resistant sealant between the wear collar and spindle housing, or is this a lost cause?

By the way, on the other side, there is a single seal with an ID of approximately 58mm. The spindle housing slips down inside this seal (no wear collar), and it has never leaked. The seal design is of a different design. Hard to explain but it appears that it has two sealing surfaces (top and bottom) instead of a single sealing surface on the factory seal (64X80X13TC). Another option may be to try to find an aftermarket seal with the same dimensions and design as the right side (not leaking).

Ideas/thoughts? If I use a sealer, is there one that folks recommend? Thank you for the help,
Rick

My best guess is that a previous owner had the upper casting machined down to clean up wear grooves or rust - which was really the only option on the 'old style' before we had the repair collar. I think your only option at this point is to either just get a seal that fits the machined down casting (58mm ID?) and not use a wear collar or replace the upper casting. If the wear sleeve fits loosely then it will not seal.

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the advice and sorry for the delay in posting a followup. I was able to find a seal that worked (58mm ID, bore size 80mm). So far, no leaks.

Rick

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back