317 Mower Again

MCL

Member
Boy do I feel like an idiot. I said on a previous post that I just bought a 317 with an Onan engine. It really has the 2 cylinder Kohler engine. Amazing what you find when you get something home and start messing with it. How were these engines for reliability? It seems to run good and not smoke. It must be pretty decent if it's still in there after all these years. I am also pretty sure the deck is a newer replacement. It looks a lot newer than the tractor. Not planning on doing much mowing with it anyhow. Once I get the lift working it will probably come off.

Any advice or wisdom on this thing will be appreciated. Thanks.
 
http://smallenginewarehouse.com/RepowerItems.asp?Brand=John%20Deere&Model=317

or

http://smallenginewarehouse.com/RepowerItems.asp?Brand=John%20Deere&Model=318

or a home engineered transplant.
 
You got lucky on the good Kohler engine. Parts are readily a available. I have rebuilt several of Kohler engines. Easy to get parts too. Google is your friend. There are hundreds of Kohler parts dealers. Good machine for sure.
 
I could be confused on the model but I think the Kohler used in the 317 used aluminum connecting rods which proved to be a problem. I think they have a habit of breaking and prodding a hole in the side of the block.
 
I had a 317 with that 2 cylinder kohler engine. Mowed grass around here with it for years.It is a very heavy made lawn tractor.But one thing you should know, every once in a while someone would come along and tell me how worthless the engine is, this includes my local john deere dealer who told me that deere had so many problems with them that they finally offered a kit to change it out for a onan.I can only say that I had no problems with mine,However I was thinking of this when I Sold it and purchased a zero turn. Hope I haven't discouraged you with your new mower.I just thought you should know my experiences with mine.
 
I had operated a 317 for a neighbor whom I had worked for some years back. I believe that twin cylinder Kohler was used in Cub Cadets and the Allis Chalmers/Simplicity tractors, too. I seem to recall being told the key to longevity with those engines was keeping the tractors running on level ground...............as in no road ditch mowing.
 
If the Kohler runs today just keep it clean of grass underneath so it can get cooling air. Fix all hyd oil leaks as they stick grass and dirt to the screen under the tractor. Clean do not remove the screen. The later Kohler replacements had better lubrication than the first ones.
 
Wrong, the original Onans had oiling problems. The MRK II Onans had an improved pressure lube system.
The only Kohler oil system problem is when some ding dong keeps operating the engine and never services the lube system.
 
Only passing on what I'd read on Weekend Freedom Machines.

"It is no secret that the 317 has had its share of engine problems. Many of the model 317 tractors suffered catastrophic engine failure as a result of poor lubrication to the connecting rod journals of the crankshaft. The engine utilized a "Pressure spray" lubrication system, which operated at approximately 5 PSI and did not provide pressurized oil to the connecting rod journals. Instead, the connecting rod journals were lubricated with oil sprayed down from the camshaft. This resulted in inadequate lubrication, particularly if the tractor was operated on a side-hill incline. Kohler did not offer an immediate solution to this problem, and as an interim solution John Deere engineered a retrofit kit that would allow an Onan p218G to be installed into the 317 chassis.

Eventually Kohler did rectify the problematic KT17 engine by redesigning the engine with a full pressure lubrication system. Known as the KT17 Series II, the engine operated at a significantly higher oil pressure of 25-50 PSI. Kohler also cross-drilled the crankshaft, which allowed oil to be supplied under pressure to the connecting rod journals. The result was a much more durable engine with significantly longer life. A KT17 Series II engine can be identified by a specification (Spec.) number of 24300 or higher. Well into its last year of production, 1982, the 317 came equipped with a Kohler KT17 Series II engine as standard equipment from the factory. Unfortunately the reputation of the 317 and the original KT17 engine was well established by this point."

Maybe Onan had similar problems. I still have to check the spec. Num and serial num on my third Kohler engine in my 317 to see exactly what is in it.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top