340U hydraulics question for Charles Todd, or anyone else

PaulW_NJ

Charles

I sent you an email the other day, but don't know if you received it.

I am in the conceptual phase of how to modify the hydraulics I’ve got, on my 340U. My objective is to add a loader, and also to add remotes at the rear.

I am not familiar with how the hydraulics on a 504 like yours are set up, and if they are totally different than a 340 perhaps this won’t apply. What caught my attention is that it looks like on your 504 you have a similar camshaft driven external pump as mine, as well as a second internal pump.

My 340U has an existing 9 gpm pump on the camshaft, similar to yours, but no internal pump. I’ve read that a 11 (or 12) gpm pump, or the 17 gpm pumps were IH options, and one or the other would have been mounted internally, instead of the external 9 gpm pump. My 340 has two pairs of side remotes with valves, and control levers, that I planned to use for the loader. I also wanted to split the output of the remote to be used for bucket control with a three way valve, and send the alternative output to a third pair of remotes on the rear, where I can connect a log splitter.

My existing 9 gpm pump therefore provides hydraulics to the rear fasthitch, the power steering, and the two existing side remotes. My concern is that 9 gpm will end up being too low a flowrate for running the loader, or the rear connected log splitter. Of course I won’t be running both at the same time. It has been suggested to me that an easier approach would be to wait and see how the 9 gpm pumps works, and then if it is too slow to add a PTO powered Prince-type pump, at least for the log splitter. That, however sounds equally complicated if I have to also add a tank and additional controls. My gut feeling is that the 9 gpm will be insufficient.

On the 340, the camshaft driven pump draws fluid out of the transmission, and dumps it back there after the pressure is let down. I assume the internal pump option would have worked in the same way. Because I don’t know how the internals would have been configured at the factory if the internal pump option were in place, I have no way to know what internal components besides the pump itself I might need to add the internal pump, or if it is even feasible to retrofit one at this point. Another thing I’ve wondered is whether I could add the 12 gpm internal pump, keep the 9 gpm camshaft pump in place, and run both together.

Any thoughts would be helpful, and greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Paul, I took a quick look at a IH parts catalog for a 340U, it shows a pump in the belly housing like a 504 or larger tractor.12 gpm standard 17 gpm optional. These pumps are driven off shaft in transmission that runs constantly. On the right hand side of the tractor, in the area of the break pedals is a football shaped cover, under that is the filter. On the left hand side of the tractor near the clutch pedal, directly across from the filters, is where the hydralic pump is. This set up might have been an option on a 340U. If you look at an IH parts catalog for your tractor, you can get an idea of how yours is set up. Your cam driven pump was probably standard equipment with the belly mounted pump being optional. During my quick look at the part catalog, for a 340, I did not see an camshaft driven pump for the hydralics.

You need to get a I&T service/shop manual. In the hyd. section will be pictures and explanations of the hyd. system. Than with you having that book we can better help you with any questions you may have. Armand

I have heard of 340s that have both types of pumps, but have never seen one. The camshaft driven pump was standard equipment on the 340U with the internally mounted pump being an option.
Possibly related to the IPTO option, they both drive off the same shaft, but thats unclear.
The cam driven pump should be sufficent for the loader. Both pumps develop the same pressure, the difference is in the amount of flow. So the cam pump will work, it will just be slower.
With regard to using a splitter for the rear remotes, thats the setup I have and it works great.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back