350 u difficult cold start

I confess upfront that I'm probably being a bit lazy with this problem. This tractor has had it's share of issues but I've made progress on a number of them and have been able to keep cost under control. One issue it has not had is starting. 12 volt system. Pull choke, about 20% throttle fires up pretty quickly.

I got it out of the shop after transmission repairs and I was surprised that it needed a jump after 4 or 5 brief cranking cycles. I wrote it off to sitting for several months. Now, out of the last 10 starts over the last 2 months I've had to jump half the time It's been cold and I haven't had a lot of experience cold starting this tractor. It's now above 40 degrees and no improvement It's flooding then dripping so I know at least gas is getting to the carb. I've pulled the plugs after cranking and they appear dry. I've also put about a tablespoon of gas oil mix in number 2 and 3 plug and that seems to help but not always. Also the engine doesn't crank as fast as I think it should whether jumping or starting off a freshly charged battery. Once the engine is warm it starts right up. My question. Do I rebuild the carb or attack the slow crank issue. Unfortunately I usually only get an hour here or there to work on this tractor so Im hoping to attack in manageable chunks of time. Currently, I need to move it out of the shed into my garage so I can once again repair the broken power steering. Thanks Paul

I put over-center battery cable clamps on my Super H, my M just has a 3/8 bolt & nut that a battery ground cable bolts to, just snug the hex nut down a bit on the copper eyelet. I NEVER leave a battery connected on a tractor that's going to sit for more than a few minutes, the batteries last WAY longer, had a Sears Die Hard Gold Group 65 last 20 years that way, the new one has 8 years on it already. I had the starter rebuilt by FONDY AUTO ELECTRIC in Fond Du Lac, WI about 8 years ago, that REALLY helped improve starting, cranked over so fast first few starts it scared me! They advertise in Red Power Magazine. Both my tractors have Delco 10SI alternators and they draw a little current all the time, so both tractors are quick connect/disconnect. Even my Cub Cadet garden tractors have quick connects/disconnects. And group 26 car batteries.

Is it charging? Cannot remember without going back to your posts if you installed an alternator or not. Does it have the voltage step up circuit to the coil connected to the R terminal on the starter solenoid for starting? I believe a 350 should have had it from the factory.

It's time for a new battery. The gas dripping will go away once the engine turns fast enough to pull it in. Sure you could have other issues but going by your description of how fast the battery discharges it is bad.

Used Red. Thanks for the reply. This tractor came with a 12 volt system. I can tell by the flame thrower coil that its been updated. I don't have more than 20 hours of run time on the tractor and it always started quickly so I can't tell if it's charging or if it's just starting on whatever is left in the battery.
I don't know what a step up circuit is. I do know that after about 6 to 8 seconds of cranking the starter coil smokes a bit. BTW My 300 U is still theoriginal 6 volt and I considered converting but it's been starting well since I put in a new battery thanks again for the help. Paul

Dr Evil. Thanks for your reply. I am sure you are correct. I need to invest in the quick connect/disconnect. My local auto parts store doesn't carry them but of course I can get them online. I think a starter rebuild is in the future but I've been careful spending money on this tractor until I can determine it's a keeper. I originally bought it for the loader but it ran well so I decided to fix the power steering. I was successful after 2 rebuilds but now it's out again. I'm going to pull it out and fix again. I suspect the horizontal shaft with splines on both sides broke. I was able to pick one up for a reasonable price so I'm going to pull it apart again. I'm sure I'll be posting about that in the future. Paul

Rust red. Based on your reply and the feedback here that should probably be my first step.
Thanks for the reply. Paul

Check the simple and cheapest things to fix first. Battery cables can corrode under the insulation due to battery fumes. Battery cable connections can also corrode away from the battery at solenoid and ground connections. Look for hot spots and voltage drops to find unwanted resistance, a little emery cloth action can shine these connections up at no cost.

If jump starting directly to the starter with a good battery does not help, a cleaning and new starter brushes might help.

Paul 300U says I don't know what a step up circuit is.
12 volt supplied direct to coil . This is what GM and IH did Back in the 50's when they went to 12 volt. It really does help starting under certain conditions. 12 volt is supplied from solenoid to coil while starter is engaged.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back