Ford 5000 starting

Shawn C

I have a 73 Ford 5000 which I've had for almost two years. It hadn't been started in 10 years or so when I got it, but after getting a few things worked out, I was able to use it last summer.

I'm having what I think is kind of a weird problem starting it. If it's cold, it will normally start with maybe 10 seconds of cranking (no ether), but if the weather or the tractor is hot, it's nearly impossible. When hot, I can't begin to start it without ether (which I try to avoid using), so I just try to not shut it off. This morning for example, it was 50 degrees and it started pretty quickly after sitting since last fall. I bought a new 4DLT battery for it last spring since the old one seemed a little tired.

Most diesel starting issues I know are with cold starting, but mine is hot starting. I'm planning to try to do a compression test on it soon, and I'll also try to pop test the injectors at the same time. I wanted to run this starting issue by you all first in case this is normal or anyone has any suggestions.

When it is having trouble starting when hot, does any smoke come out of the exhaust? If so, what color is the smoke?

Hard starting when hot is a sign of a severely worn injection pump hydraulic head on rotary pumps, or severely worn plungers on inline pumps. If cranking speed is lower than normal that will cause hard starting too, usually both hot and cold though. I recently had to replace the hydraulic head on a neighbor's late Ford 5000 with the CAV DPA rotary pump for the same trouble.

When it is having trouble starting when hot, does any smoke come out of the exhaust? If so, what color is the smoke?
I can usually see white smoke after a few seconds of cranking. It wants to start, but it almost never quite gets there if the engine is hot.

Hard starting when hot is a sign of a severely worn injection pump hydraulic head on rotary pumps, or severely worn plungers on inline pumps. If cranking speed is lower than normal that will cause hard starting too, usually both hot and cold though. I recently had to replace the hydraulic head on a neighbor's late Ford 5000 with the CAV DPA rotary pump for the same trouble.
Ok, that's interesting. I'll still try to check compression and injector condition, but assuming those are decent, I might be looking at a pump rebuild. I do have a CAV pump on the tractor. Here are a couple of pictures if that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_7739.png
    IMG_7739.png
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7740.png
    IMG_7740.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Ok, that's interesting. I'll still try to check compression and injector condition, but assuming those are decent, I might be looking at a pump rebuild. I do have a CAV pump on the tractor. Here are a couple of pictures if that helps.
I thought only '74 and '75 model 5000's got the rotary pump?

Is there anything else I can check to verify? I guess a good diesel shop could test the pump if I brought it in? I've seen rebuild services online too where I could ship the pump, but I'm not sure if that's a great idea versus a local shop.

Is there anything else I can check to verify? I guess a good diesel shop could test the pump if I brought it in? I've seen rebuild services online too where I could ship the pump, but I'm not sure if that's a great idea versus a local shop.
Dieseltech above is your man for the pump rebuild. Send him a PM, he will take care of you at a very reasonable cost. However, hydraulic head replacement adds to the cost.

Pump might need a rebuild but I'd also go over the battery cables on both ends and be sure they are not a source or resistance.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back