4-cylinder 4000 front pivot pin wiggle

TractorDad3

Proud of myself for getting this out, cutting bolts and soaking others for weeks. Check out the wear on this, which looks like it wasn’t the first repair. Fortunately the new pin screws into the front bolster properly and wiggles only a hair. On that note, aside from a bit of anti-sieze, should I spot four points of the end of the pin with JB Weld when installed into the bolster with axle and bushing to eliminate that little wiggle? Four points could be hit with a grinder later when the next pour soul acquires this beauty when I’m done with her.
Thank you for your thoughts. I’ve read through the archives and I am not going to take off the bolster to weld it up as the pin seats pretty well

Attachments

• IMG_8024.jpeg
    IMG_8024.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8023.jpeg
    IMG_8023.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8022.jpeg
    IMG_8022.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
I don't understand the wiggle part? Do you mean it won't fully tighten? Threads look funny at the left rear of the pic but the rest look fine. Angle of pic?

Once fully tightened it can't wiggle. A new plate on the front is probably necessary. If I'm not mistaken torque is around 250. I just hit it with a heavy impact as hard as it would go. That's all it needs.

Hard to believe the pin looks that bad and the bushing is still good. Saves buying a $400 bushing!

Thank you for the reply M-Man. Agreed on the wiggle, though from a different angle, the top of the threads of the female opening for the pin looks to have been already welded. Maybe the threads of the female opening are only catching 3/4 of the male pin, allowing it to thread but not tighten and still be a tough loose in there. Sorry for the wordy description.
The original pin was in awful shape and in the axle pic you can see the bushing was no more.

If you can, I would clean up those female threads as best as possible to see if the pin will screw in farther and tighten it up better.

Cleaning up the threads allowed the pin to go further in, and snug it up much better. Now the only slop left is the front left kingpin!
Thank you again for the help!

Cleaning up the threads allowed the pin to go further in, and snug it up much better. Now the only slop left is the front left kingpin!
Thank you again for the help!
On the kingpin replacement, I did that on one Ford years ago and recalling I couldn't get the axle assembly (with the pin) to drop out. The reason turned out to be a ridge worn in the pin or axle mount (or both) kept it from falling out. I do remember taking it to a make shift repair guy (recommended Ford tractor repair guy) that got it out but I forget just how he did it.

I wish I had any machinists around me that would take on a one off project for me, but usually my calls end in a “no”. Amazed that one took on the balancer needle bearing replacement. I caught JB weld on the topside of the female threads of the front bolster, which after 9000 hrs on this tac tells me it is likely wore out, and I imagine I will
Run into the same ridge you are describing on the kingpin - thanks for the heads up!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back