400 back in the shop

jon f mn

Went to start the 400 and the oil was high and creamy. This came out of the drain plug.

cvphoto265.jpg

I'm not really surprised as the engine sat for several years dry. I was expecting it right away. So it's back in the shop for more wrenching.

cvphoto266.jpg

Spent most of yesterday which was a beautiful day, cleaning up the shop and yard. But later I got time to tear it apart. Other than a cracked head and bad seals it looks in great shape. There is no wear showing on the bearings and no ridge in the sleeves. So should be just some gaskets and seals and head repair. I am wondering about the bearings tho, they have had that bad oil on them and even tho they look nice should I replace them? What I found odd is the rods are original from 65 but the mains were replaced in 77.

cvphoto267.jpg

cvphoto268.jpg

cvphoto269.jpg

Had lots of time for projects the last few days since my wife seems to have gotten the virus, so my job said I have to stay home at least til next Monday. She is doing fine other than a bad cough. So that has given me time to work on things. Finished the fence the fence around the cattle lot and got the cattle outside finally. Be glad to not have to clean the barn anymore for them at least.

cvphoto270.jpg

cvphoto271.jpg

The steers are enjoying their new play area.

cvphoto272.png

Probably work on the manure spreader project while I wait on the heads and parts for the 400.

the bottom head left cyl. has been running with coolant leaking. that's the culprit.

Here?s the 400 I?ve been working on. Had coolant in the oil also. This of coarse still has the original engine in it. Had a shop go through the heads. Costed almost $1000 when done. Almost pooped when I went to pick them up!! Guess when you get all new valves, guides and seats it adds up fast. Thank god they weren?t cracked! Good luck with your projects and the health of your wife!
cvphoto415.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back