4000 4cyl Coil Breakdown

ChrisT

I've got a 4000 4cyl with Pertronix electronic ignition and flame thrower coil. Tractor runs great for about an hour running a 6ft brush cutter, then starts to cut out and sputter. Usually if I take the load off the engine, the RPM will come back. If I leave the load on sometimes it will set there and continue to surge, other times it dies. I bought another coil at a local auto parts store and have been swapping the coils out in the field to continue on and allow one coil to cool. While incredibly annoying, it allows me to get the job done. Yesterday it would randomly sputter, and if I took the load off the engine it would continue to sputter. If I brought the RPM down to idle, the sputtering would stop. I could then idle back up and take off as normal. Does this sound like the mechanical advance sticking? I replaced the distributor with one purchased from YT a couple years ago when I put the electronic ignition on it. Also, has anyone else seen the issues I'm having with the coils?

Measure coil current. If significantly over 4 amperes, that is why it gets hot and needs to be reduced with a resistor, unless you have Ignitor II.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back