I just bought this tractor and it's all original but the 24v turns the tractor over good, I've never had one of these so I didn't know what problems to expect since you can read all kinds of negative stories about them so I will leave it factory for now, since it's a late 63 model I assumed the cab was factory but if it's not I believe it's been on the tractor about it's whole life based on how good the steering wheel and gauges look.I like the 24-volt system. I think the tractors start better. I find keeping a small maintainer battery charger on the right-side battery on my 24-volt 3020 helps when letting it set for long periods. I know time to clean the starter housing again. The original fuel gauge cannot be made to work, as suggested you need the late model gauge.
Batteries & 12 volt starters are much more powerful today than in 1961-1968!!!I like the 24-volt system. I think the tractors start better. I find keeping a small maintainer battery charger on the right-side battery on my 24-volt 3020 helps when letting it set for long periods. I know time to clean the starter housing again. The original fuel gauge cannot be made to work, as suggested you need the late model gauge.
See sounds like fun doesn’t it?Way back when I was employed at JD dealer I went on several service calls to jump start tractors with 24 volt systems. I would attach a vehicle with 12 volt electrical system on each side of tractor batteries being sure that the vehicle bumper & tractor metal did not touch each other. Attach each vehicle batteries in ""correct polarity + to + & - to - on each tractor battery"". A lot of the times only a vehicle battery attached to tractor RH battery would start the tractor engine.
Thank you for your compliment! I seriously doubt JD 24 volt electrical system & trouble free should be in same topic.As usual following TX Jims advice will be your bet for trouble free operation.
I have never been around them on a tractor, but I had a 63 Mack road tractor that had 24 volt. I was always have some sort of problems with it. Mostly salty roads.Thank you for your compliment! I seriously doubt JD 24 volt electrical system & trouble free should be in same topic.
We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.
Copyright © 1997-2025 Yesterday's Tractor Co.
All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.
Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters
Website Accessibility Policy