4010 and deere 265 disc mower

Jim4010

I have a JD 4010 diesel and looking at buying a deere 265 disc mower for $3,900 close to me. I was wondering if the tires on the 4010 would interfere with cutting hay with the 265 ? I see Deere and kuhn make an extended long 3 point hitch pin to shift the mower over to account for that, the pin cost $135. If this setup ideal? I would think the PTO shaft will always be cockeyed a little by shifting the mower over a foot. I really don't want to put my 4010 tires in any closer, I got steep hills here in southern Il.

THanks,
Jim

265 @ 8'3'' cut isn't much of a load for a JD 4010. You can download operator manual @ https://techpubs.deere.com/en-US/Search/Equipment
mvphoto81346.png

This post was edited by Tx Jim on 09/04/2021 at 03:59 pm.

Jim: where are you in southern Illinois? I am from
near Murphysboro (Kinkaid Lake) area and I have a
4010 that I keep tires spread wide too for the same
reason as you. I pull a 9 foot NH 489 moco with no
problem. G Wece (email open)

No doubt my 4010 will easily handle the 265 mower. My hesitation is the left-hand extended hitch pin to shift the mower out of the tractor tracks. Has anyone done an extended hitch pin ? I would think the PTO shaft isn't directly aligned from tractor to mower and would be harder on the universal.

I agree when utilizing an extended hitch pin that pto u-joints would be operating at more extreme angles. I think one would need to lubricate u-joints more regularly & utilize higher quality grease.

(quoted from post at 04:13:33 09/05/21)
I agree when utilizing an extended hitch pin that pto u-joints would be operating at more extreme angles. I think one would need to lubricate u-joints more regularly & utilize higher quality grease.

Let me ask this, If I didn't get the extended hitch pin, and ran over a little grass hay, would the disc mower still cut the majority of what I ran over, or would I leave a big strip down the field ? It's just pasture grass, not expensive alfalfa.

If rear tire mashes grass down in front of cutter bar then you'll leave streaks of uncut hay but that shouldn't affect cutter bars ability to cut remainder of width.

As long as the mower hitch keeps it's
lateral alignment (one side isn't leading
the other) behind the tractor, it should
be no harder on universals, as both are
being offset the same degrees, balancing
out any vibrations.

A little grease a little more often
wouldn't hurt, either.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back