Deere 265 (Kuhn) disk mower gear case mystery

Jim4010

Got a used Deere 265 disk mower, (same as the Kuhn) decided to change gear oil in everything first before I tried it.

Drained and filled cutterbar oil first, pretty straightforward.

Then I got confused on gear case. With the cutter bar still verticle I took out gear case fill and drain plugs, watched the oil come out and when about done dripping I took out the pressure relief valve to clean it. Once removed, a big bunch of oil came out of the pressure relief valve opening, i want to say 1/2 pint at least. It was a different color and appeared thicker than what came out of the gear case drain plug opening. Being confused I read the manual closer and manual says to lower cutterbar horizontal before taking out pressure relief valve. Did I let out some oil I was not supposed to by removing pressure relief value at cutterbar verticle ? Will I now run some part of the gear case without oil? I'm now tempted to just take out the pressure relief valve to see if any oil comes out. I expected 99% of the oil to come out of the drain plug opening if the case inside is all open.
Thanks,
Jim in southern IL

(quoted from post at 15:58:41 10/25/21) Jim, will post about your problem when I get back from the emergency room. It is not hurting anything.

Arlen,
Are you doing OK ?

thanks Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back