4020 Injector boot follow-up

Fordy20

Posted below about leak in injector boot. Learned some things that most of you may know but may help someone like me in the future. The suggestion to replace all six was a good one. Several split when removing the fuel line.

I think it was Tom that suggested putting the boots in hot water to soften them and that turned out to be a great help.

Another suggestion was to get a good pair of snap ring pliers. Looked that up on the internet but only pliers with the small pegs on the nose for spreading flat snap rings showed up.

I got a few off with a needle nose Vice Grip that sure wasn't an ideal tool.

Had coffee with a group the next day and was telling about my woes with the clamps and showing photos. One of the guys said I needed Corbin pliers and he had a pair he would loan me. So they are called Corbin clamps and a pair of Corbin pliers makes moving the clamps easy (at least compared to a needle nose vice grip)..

cvphoto132852.jpg

cvphoto132853.jpg

I had a little extra practice I hadnt counted on. After I got
it all together all was good at idle but then I used the
tractor I had diesel all over the side again. One of the
boots was leaking so I had to take it all apart and it
looked like a cut in the boot. Took it back to the dealer
and apparently what they had done is open the package
with a knife and they wound up cutting the boot. Gave me
a new boot but didnt offer to pay for the diesel that I lost
and my time. But I did get some extra experience.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back