rbooker

i posted a while back about a 420 navy that i found and bought to eventually restore for my collection.

i have been doing quite a bit of reseach on these tractors in particular. i have found 8 of them total and talked to one or two owners and it has been quite helpful. i want to crack the code of the "CJ 207". i know this included industrial yellow paint. i also suspect it included no hydraulics. my tractor has them but apparently they were added when it was repurposed. when this occurred the tractor was painted over the original yellow (original USN ID number is still there and was just applied with black spray paint and stencil). all parts still have this paint underneath except the hydraulics/3 pt. you can see where i scratched off an area on the main case under the seat thats yellow and an area just above on the rockshaft where there is no yellow. several of the other survivors ive seen are also minus hydraulics but one had them. it was also a green repaint.

with regards to serial number plates, the only differences on the plates are the tractor serial number, navy identification number and the BUDOCKS number. i have found that this is an abbreviation for bureau of yards and docks to whom these tractors were issued. mine says BUDOCKS AE-41-56. all say BUDOCKS AE- and end in -56. i suspect the 56 is just the year the equipment was issued as all are the same but the other number varies somewhat among surviving tractors and i suspect this may identify a certain location or company or the like. if anyone has an idea what this could mean or knows the ins and outs of what was formerly the bureau of yards and docks please let me know. i tried the us naval museum and national archives but neither source could offer any help.

also all tags include "w/sickle" (top right) which makes me wonder if they were originally issued with mounted sickle bar mowers for base/runway maintenance, etc and this is also part of the cj 207. according to one owner who has the original documents for the tractor, a few images in the op manual show controls for a sickle bar mower on the pictured tractor.

should be a fun project when it gets underway (may not be til next year). im glad i found this one sitting out back when looking at another tractor. it needed to be saved. if anyone can shed any light or provide any helpful info i would appreciate it. if i get anything else interesting ill pass it on. im also waiting on the research from two cylinder club.

Two Cylinder published the cj codes years ago but I have no idea where mine is. Don't know about the yellow as all the Dubuques I've ran across had yellow under the green. Looks like it will be a fun project.

If it was sold through the industrial division
yellow was the standard color so there probably was no custom job number for the yellow.I think
CJ 265 was the yellow paint on the ones sold through the ag division.You could buy them without hydraulics that wouldn't be a custom number thing.I've got an orange one with CJ 207,think it was probably a mower.There was a company called Andersen that installed a lot of side mount mowers on them.I've seen pictures of them with belly mowers on military bases also.
I think cj 267 was the orange paint.

BuDocks was the Navy office that let the contract with Deere for these tractors. In the mid-60s BuDocks became the Naval Facilities Engineering Command - NAVFAC.
The numbers between AE and 56 I suspect are just sequential numbers in the contract quantity and might at that time have indicated the shipping destination for each tractor.
In the upper left corner where it says TRACTOR W/?EL could the ? mark be an F making it FEL for front end loader?

Two Cylinder published that list of CJ codes in the July/Aug. 2010 issue. As was indicated the list is not complete.

265 is Industrial Yellow
266 is Highway Orange
For 207 it says: "Likely described as an equipment package that included yellow paint".

thanks for the input. i have the 2003 issue of two cylinder featuring these tractors and including all of the known cj codes at the time. certainly the one code could have specified a few different things pertaining to a run of tractors for a single order.

ray, you are corrrect in the fact that all of these tractors were industrial yellow and that may not have been a part of the 207 code. also if you own a tractor that is not a us navy 420 with cj 207 then that lets us know that cj 207 is not the specific code for these 124 tractors alone. if you could check on your 207 tractor for any other info and get back to me i would appreciate it. my email should be open too.

pete, i have located pictures of 7 of these tractors and pictures of the navy tags from 5. i was thinking the other numbers may also be a sequential thing but i have found 2 tractors with AE-40, 2 with AE-41 and one with AE-122 so i suspected this would likely specify shipping destination (certainly something specific to the bureau). this is one bit of info i would really like to have since deere did not record shipping destinations for these tractors. also the top line of the tag reads: TRACTOR-WHEEL 2000 LBS. DBP GED w/SICKLE. i know its hard to see that in my picture.

one of the other owners i talked to had never noticed the sickle part on the tag. i'm betting it is a code for sickle mower from the factory.

keep the input coming. we may be getting somewhere!

I wonder if turf tires was one of the things included in the 207 code.
Any thoughts on what GBP GED stands for?
Have you done a serial number search with the Two-Cylinder club?

i submitted a request to two cylinder a little over a month ago so should be getting that pretty soon. will post it up when i get it. i assume it will be the same as the other two documents i have seen for these tractors. specifies tire equipment and transmission and lights but says CJ 207- description not available. i have been trying to cypher out what DBP GED could mean but no luck at this point.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back