424 Generator to Alternator conversion

Cregul

New User
I have a 424 Gas with a bad generator. I bought new brushes for it and cleaned the armature but it didn't help. It's not charging the battery. I'm thinking on swapping out the generator with an alternator but not sure what to purchase. Any suggestions?

I read and followed the above link and determined that the Gen is bad. I'm still not sure how to convert 12v generator to 12v alternator. From what I'm reading, I just need a 1 wire alternator and bypass the VR strait completely to the Bat terminal on the starter.
I just don't know which alternator to buy.

I read and followed the above link and determined that the Gen is bad. I'm still not sure how to convert 12v generator to 12v alternator. From what I'm reading, I just need a 1 wire alternator and bypass the VR strait completely to the Bat terminal on the starter.
They work, but are technically always turned on, so there is some battery drain. If used monthly all OK. I would use a Compact alternator if room is an issue (it probably is) a Hitachi 14231 alternator with 3 wire is good as is the one in the link, it is a one wire. I always use a fuse link 10% greater in amp rating than the alternator in series with the alternator to that starter terminal. It can save the alternator if connected incorrectly during a jump start. If it was positive ground before, make sure you reverse the coil and deal with the ignition if it has electronic ignition. Jim

I have a 424 Gas with a bad generator. I bought new brushes for it and cleaned the armature but it didn't help. It's not charging the battery. I'm thinking on swapping out the generator with an alternator but not sure what to purchase. Any suggestions?
I have a 424 with an alternator. Electronics are not my specialty but I can probably look at it and describe to you how it is wired. I do believe it has one wire though.

I did replace the alternator once and truly think it was just a one wire Delco that probably fit many old vehicles. It has worked for the last 20 or so years.

I did replace the alternator once and truly think it was just a one wire Delco that probably fit many old vehicles. It has worked for the last 20 or so years.
I have used the one wire Delco too. It eliminates the external regulator and all that "stuff". If wiring diagrams don't come with the purchase either from here or ebay which carries them, then a www search will find you the new wiring diagram. They are the most simplistic battery charging mechanism I can think of.

Only problem is that upon startup of the tractor, you may need to increase the RPMs over idle to get enough voltage generated within the generator for it to start working......start the tractor, the red, not charging light comes on in the dash, you rev it up, for a second, the light goes out, you can go back to idle....no red light, and you are good to go. Biggest problem is finding a space to put it, support bracket and V belt to the required....non of them show stoppers!!!!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back