4520BW's experience from a few pages back, helping stories

RBoots

A few pages back, 4520BW told a story about how his dad said he'd get him some .22 shells if he tore the decking off a wagon rack. Then he went on to say that while he was tearing it off, a salesman or something along those lines stopped by and ended up helping him for an hour. 4520, your story reminded me of something similar that happened to me a few years ago.
It was an early spring morning and I was going to scrape some gravel roads in my territory that day, but the roads were still frozen. I'd have to wait until 10 or 11 AM before the sun thawed them out enough to scrape, so I decided to cut trees in the meantime until they thawed out. I went and picked a road that had a lot of maple along the right of way. I walked along the trees looking for any that were hollow or rotted and could potentially fall into the road and cut them one by one. Every one had a hard lean towards the road, and had to be felled across the road. Luckily this road wasn't a real busy road, so I was able to get the tree down and chunked up into 4' long pieces or so, whatever I could handle and throw in piles along the road. I would pick up the pieces in the middle of the road first so if any cars came along they could pass through. I had just dropped one and was finishing blocking it up and I saw a Fed-Ex truck turn the corner headed towards me. I hurried up and got the pieces out of the center of the road and was picking up the last block that was preventing him from crossing through where I was working. I didn't want to hold him up, as probably everyone knows, they are always moving right along all day. I was quite surprised when he pulled up next to my truck and shut his delivery truck off. He got out and walked over to a piece of wood, picked it up, and pointed to where I was piling the wood, and asked "want it right here"? I told him that was real nice of him to offer and all, but I could do it by myself and didn't want to hold him up. He told me that he didn't care at all, he only had like 150 stops that day instead of his usual 250+ stops, and that he was glad to help, as it allowed him to get out of the truck and stretch a bit for a few minutes. It was actually my break time which I usually don't take when I work by myself, so after a few minutes we had all the blocks of wood off the road, and we stopped and shot the breeze for a few minutes. These guys all have the same route, so I'd see him almost every day, and we'd wave when we passed. A real friendly guy, got to talking about tractors and farming, etc. I know he wasn't probably supposed to be helping me, and I told him that, and even though he was aware I cut the tree, he said it was no problem moving stuff off the road to get through, said he has to do that quite often, moving limbs and branches after a wind storm. Sorry for the long story, it just reminded me of that time. Never expected to have a Fed-Ex guy stop on a backroad and help me for a few minutes and chat about something both of us were involved in. Anyone else have any stories like that?

Ross

I should add that when I was talking with the salesman he found out I went to the Lutheran school and he had grown up with one of my teachers I had. I believe they from the northern part of the state.

This story is not exactly about helping, but it is about a friendly FedEx driver.

I am 18 years old, and when I was 9 until I was 14 I played youth baseball. A guy named Terry was an umpire, and he probably umpired for my games more than any other guy. He was really friendly and I found out he was a FedEx driver. One day he delivered a package in my neighborhood (not even to my house) and he saw me and my mom in my driveway. He pulled into our driveway in his truck, got out, and we talked for at least 10 minutes. He loves to talk, and I am sure this was eating into his busy schedule, but he did not mind. We talked about baseball and the upcoming youth season. Very nice guy, just makes you think that even though there are a lot of bad people out there, the number of good people is reassuringly high.

There was a salesman stopped in here one afternoon while I was out getting the cows. He was waiting in the milkhouse. My youngest son went in there with him and got to horsing around. He stepped on the valve on the bulk tank and the coupler popped loose letting it start dumping milk out. When I got up there,the salesman was down on his knees holding his hand and over it to keep me from loosing all the milk. After that I felt so guilty and grateful that I had to buy something from him.

My dad helped a Evenrude salesman who had a flat and a ruined spare on a ford Ranch wagon. It was snowing pretty hard, and my dad just gave him the spare out of our 57 Ford. He was on his way to Chicago for a trade show with 6 outboards in the back. He gave dad a card and said he would see him in 4 days. Dad gave him the address and phone #. 4 days later the man called and arranged to stop by the farm. He dropped of a Fasttwin 15 horse brand new outboard motor. He had called the product manager and they agreed the motor was to be the reward. (along with the spare back) The engine was used until 4 years ago. A few tuneups, but no issues. We gave it away to a young man who said he would restore it. Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back