4630 bosch pump turn up/ 404ci hp limit

This message is a reply to an archived post by dieseldoc on April 16, 2011 at 19:39:57.
The original subject was "Re: 4630 bosch pump turn up 404ci hp limit".

Our 4630 has had 240hp since 1980. Had to switch to synthetic oil to keep from replacing the turbo yearly. Also has a better fan, not sure what it's from but it sounds like a vacuum cleaner at full throttle. Pulling the discovator it would glow at night. Nowdays it doesn't do a lot of heavy work because we've had an 8640 for awhile, but it can if you ask it. It just rolled over 14k hrs this year. Now, I can't say I recommend this, as our mechanic still to this day can't believe we haven't burned it up, but dad always just said if the temp hits red gear down. I remember as a kid going with Mom to bring dad lunch or supper in the field and we always knew just drive towards the plume of black smoke in the air :)

Turning the fire to them don't hurt anything. Don't pull bigger loads than normal, just use extra power to get through tough spots, Watch water temp, use good oil. Common sense goes long wat!

Sound like you are very lucky and have a very special 4630,,when the turbo is glowing,,so are the valves...

(quoted from post at 19:49:45 09/06/19) This message is a reply to an archived post by dieseldoc on April 16, 2011 at 19:39:57.
The original subject was "Re: 4630 bosch pump turn up 404ci hp limit".

Our 4630 has had 240hp since 1980. Had to switch to synthetic oil to keep from replacing the turbo yearly. Also has a better fan, not sure what it's from but it sounds like a vacuum cleaner at full throttle. Pulling the discovator it would glow at night. Nowdays it doesn't do a lot of heavy work because we've had an 8640 for awhile, but it can if you ask it. It just rolled over 14k hrs this year. Now, I can't say I recommend this, as our mechanic still to this day can't believe we haven't burned it up, but dad always just said if the temp hits red gear down. I remember as a kid going with Mom to bring dad lunch or supper in the field and we always knew just drive towards the plume of black smoke in the air :)

240HP from a turbo and somewhat intercooled 404 of mid 1970's vintage ??? There are some optimistic numbers being quoted there.
150HP on the pto factory. It would take a stiff tailwind to push that engine past 175-180HP by only turning up the pump.

It will Glenn,, back in the old days we would play with 44/46's..a 4430 will turn down to about 90hp and up to 225 just by turning the screw,, a 4630 will turn up to 240 easy enough,,but it won't live a long life...they will deal with 175 all day long,,,and yes they are way too easy to turn up,,"Faster horses need better wagons"

These are Diesel engines not gassers . You can
easily gain over 100 hp with just some tweaking of
the pump and the best part is still have better
economy than a 2013 year gas engine . We had a
new Holland tg235 at the feedlot on a haybuster tub
grinder switched over to grind high moisture grain
corn for silage and the whole exhaust manifold and
turbo would glow orange my infrared thermometer
wouldn?t go near high enough to read the
temperature it ran 24 hours a day for weeks on end

When tractor pulling was still fun with 250H.P. I saw several JD tractors that would exceed 200H.P. with basically fuel only.We never left them that high but many ran over 10K hours with at least 25/50 extra ponies.The IH tractors would get a few more but at 250+ not uncommon to have headgasket issues.Now it takes 3500H.P. and not much fun as it costs way to much with not much payout. I won $500 at local pull with my 1206 and thought I won the lottery when I was 17 years old.If I remember right there were over 50 local tractors in the 12000# class and people stepped on a moving skid and it seemed like we had a limit for speed and we got 50% of entry fee to win.It seems like about 190H.P. was all I could get with fuel screw only.I am still into muscle type tractors and love the whistle of a turbo.A guy called me to sell his 4020 that hadn't been ran since 2006 just put in corner it had the complete M&W kit including radiator,pan and fan.He said probably no one wanted it with turbo except me. Its funny you can advertise a kit and it will sell but advertise a tractor with one and most are reluctant.I have a 71 4020 with complete kit except radiator and it has 10K hours never been touched and original paint still looks nice and I would rather drive it as my newer ones if its not raining,snowing or over 80 deg.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back