'49 A JD battery question

RockVet06

New User
I currently have 2-6V batteries for my "49 A. Can I just replace the 2- 6V with 1 12V battery? Anything I need to look for when purchasing the battery (so many CCA?)?
 
I imagine that the two 6 volt batteries are hooked up in parallel. This means that you are still dealing with 6 volts. To check for sure, the positive posts and the negitive posts are probably hooked together. They will do this so that you have more cranking power. Good luck.
 
IIRC, a 49 A would be 12 volt, pos ground. They used doubled up 6 v batts cuz the supply of 12v batts was limited at that time.
Look for a tag or marking on one of the 6v batts & get a 12v of same or larger amp rating.
By the way, if my info is right, model B didn't get 12v, stayed at 6.
 
Id suggest a big honkin heavy duty 12 volt single battery of at least 900, but better yet 1050 or even more CCA and the use of at least 1 gauge better yet 0 gauge battery n starter n ground cables and she was originaly Positive ground remember.

John T
 
(quoted from post at 13:42:23 05/23/10) I imagine that the two 6 volt batteries are hooked up in parallel. This means that you are still dealing with 6 volts. To check for sure, the positive posts and the negitive posts are probably hooked together. They will do this so that you have more cranking power. Good luck.

You imagine wrong, it is 12v from the factory, positive ground

My A’s ( 47 & 48 ) have been using 1 12v battery since I was born, about any old battery will work but I recently put 1,000 CCA batts in them and they work great, if ti doesn’t crank over good then you need to disassemble and clean up the starter. I got mine for $69 from a local battery dealer called Craig’s
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top