504U ID of New Loader Hyd Hoses is Smaller

John_B

A few years back I had all new hoses made up for the loader and PS on my 504U. Due to health issues and other delays I'm just now putting them on the tractor. The threads are correct and they mate up correctly, but the ID on the new hoses is smaller. The fittings on the old ones measured about 1/2 , but the fittings on the new ones only measure 3/8. Will this slow down the flow rate and make the loader move slower? Looks like it might be possible to drill them out bigger. Did the shop screw up or are the original type fittings no longer available? Wish I would have caught it when I picked them up.

For some reason the pictures I attached to original message didn't make it....so trying again

mvphoto94512.jpg

mvphoto94514.jpg

Some shops handle mostly new high pressure system fittings that use the small hose. They are small. Not musch to loose uness the shop is willing
to make it right. (strong argument but easy to say no) too long in your hands. Jim

Is the ID of the actual hose the same size? OD of many brands have gotten smaller for the same size hose ID; from what I have seen with replacements I have done. Also, different manufacturer's metal fittings may have different diameters/configurations even with the correct size thread and seat. In your pictures, the ones with the larger opening you see at the seat end may taper down to a smaller size inside the hose. I'd say it is doubtful the difference in speed will be noticeable to you.

With the relatively limited flow rate from a 504 you'll never see any difference. Maybe a few additional psi of pressure drop but that would be it. Don't try to drill them out - that would be an easy way of getting contamination into your system.

(quoted from post at 03:45:09 07/15/22) With the relatively limited flow rate from a 504 you'll never see any difference. Maybe a few additional psi of pressure drop but that would be it. Don't try to drill them out - that would be an easy way of getting contamination into your system.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Thanks for the replies. The hoses and fittings are made by Gates. The hose is marked 1/2" ID. I looked up the fittings on the Gates website and they show the ID as 1/2".

https://www.gates.com/us/en/search.p.7100-000000-000000.v.7100-013285.html

https://www.gates.com/us/en/search.p.7100-000000-000000.v.7100-013285.html

...but the new Gates fittings all measure .375 ( 3/8 ) " ID

mvphoto94562.jpg

mvphoto94568.jpg

mvphoto94569.jpg

mvphoto94570.jpg

mvphoto94571.jpg

Not uncommon for that to be the case. Remember the OD of the spud of the fitting has to fit inside the 1/2" ID hose, so you will lose a bit of diameter in the fitting. If your old fittings were 1/2" completely through the spud the hose would have needed to be 5/8 or 3/4 ID. You first pictures looked like the fittings were step bored and got smaller in the spud.

I very much doubt you will be able to tell any difference, from the old ones.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back