53' Model A mounting brackets for Woods 59

swiggins

New User
Thanks in advance to any information provided. I recently purchased a 53' Farmall Model A and will be restoring. I also found a Woods 59 belly mower with mounting brackets (including drawbar / pulleys) for a good price that is for a Farmall Cub. My question is if this will also mount to my Model A. I have read that the deck itself will work for any model and the only difference is the mounting brackets. If the brackets will not work, are the correct ones available and what is the difference?

As you may tell, I am new to old tractors but hope to learn a lot with my new purchase.

The woods mounting brackets for the A and cub are not the same. They are so different that modification would be out of the question. You would have to check with a woods dealer to find if the brackets are available. I assume you have a super A as you said it is a 53 model. If the brackets are available from woods you will be shocked when you see the price. Check with Burch store on EBay. He likely has the used parts you need.

I am not sure if you can do that swap with a deck for a cub? The decks for the cub have a pipe going to the rear mounting bracket which I think is only on the cubs? But am not totally familiar with how the A Farmall decks are mounted. But almost guarantee you won't be able to swap easily. Most decks are standard production and the difference is in the mounting brackets and hardware. The cub is a right hand discharge {yellow deck} and the L59s {white deck} are lefties. I called a tech from Woods or who ever owns them and he was very helpful. Highly recommend you research well before you start buying stuff. Not impossible to learn but you can educate yourself and then buy or buy now and educate yourself later. One way is much cheaper in the long run and less embarrassing. Don't ask me how I came to this conclusion. Regards, John.

(quoted from post at 10:21:29 09/15/19) PTO on a cub turns the other way from an A.

If as teddy52food says, and I have no reason to question him, and the PTO rotation is the opposite from one to the other I'm thinking that will be a major problem.

I have a Woods 306L 72 inch deck under my BN and the bolts that hold the blades on are left hand thread. If one were to install a spindle with a right hand thread on my deck it would tend to loosen the blade bolts when doing heavy cutting.

I believe the A and the BN use the same basic transmission and PTOs and just for reference my PTO shaft turns clockwise as viewed from the rear.

Tried editing my post but that is disabled so I'll add a thought or two here.

If this 59" deck was cheap enough and a guy was handy enough to modify the mounts then I guess he might be handy enough to buy new spindle shafts for the deck that have the correct treads to reverse the rotation of the blades. And yes that would mean replacing the blades too!

Like they say, "Where there a will there's a way!"

the answer is no the mounts are not the same. Rotation of the blades is not a problem its how you wind the belt but the mounts are not interchangeable. So if its a left hand throw you just wind the belt such you can have either throw on any tractor its all in winding the belt I have done both.

Also beware that the Cub PTO turns at engine speed, that is about 3 times faster than normal. So be sure to use the Cub pulley - to slow down the rotation RPM.

(quoted from post at 15:54:42 09/16/19) the answer is no the mounts are not the same. Rotation of the blades is not a problem its how you wind the belt but the mounts are not interchangeable. So if its a left hand throw you just wind the belt such you can have either throw on any tractor its all in winding the belt I have done both.

Took a bit of searching but think I found a picture that shows the different routing of the belt to adjust for the backwards rotation of the Cub PTO. If the picture come through over to the left of the image if you look close you can see the green arrow pointing to the belts making an X near rear of deck on my BN those belts are more or less parallel.
M91P3C5

to run the mower on the A you need the big pulley around 16in on the belt pulley spindle. Smaller pulley used on the Cub will not run the mower fast enough.

(quoted from post at 05:56:24 09/17/19) to run the mower on the A you need the big pulley around 16in on the belt pulley spindle. Smaller pulley used on the Cub will not run the mower fast enough.

Does this `53 A have a belt pulley and PTO shaft or just one or the other. From looking in my Farmall book that covers A, AV, B, BN, and International A tractors they were made in various configurations.

The pulley on the PTO shaft of my BN measures 18 3/4 inchs.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back