540 RPM PTO on a 1270

ebbsspeed

My brother in law just bought a Case 1270, nice tractor, but he just discovered that it is a 1000 RPM PTO. Would it damage anything if he were to run it at about half throttle for his 540 RPM-rated accessories. Someone told him it would damage the PTO clutch. It's making less power at half throttle, I didn't see how it would damage anything, just checking with the experts. Also, is there an option for 540 RPM PTO, the specs just say 1000. Thanks!

I know a guy that had a 540 adapter to a small 1000 that was adapted to the large 1000 shaft tractor. That's a lot of adapters. He did not hurt the tractor, but he did tear up some drive lines.

Only came 1000 rpm. We've run quite a few things just as you ask and haven't had any problems yet. I can see how it might damage the clutches but I highly doubt that would actually happen. We run a NH 1431 Discbine. That is 13' worth of mowing and just to start 'er up takes a considerable amount of power and time to get up to full IDLE speed! Now that thing will eat clutches way sooner than running 540 off of 1000.

My 930 has a 1000 PTO and I've never had a problem. I usually run about two thirds throttle. They make a speed reducer to take care of that problem though if interested..haven't got a clue of price. Here is the link.
http://catalogs.hubcityinc.com/farmrev/model390.html

Tom

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back