550 pto clutch

super99

The seal on the front of the transmission or PTO on the 1963 550 has been leaking bad since before I got it and the grease tube for the PTO clutch is leaking but they kept on greasing it. What a mess!!! I scrapped a coffee can full of grease, oil and mud out of it and it still needs washed out. I sprayed some brake clean on the clutch to try to find the set screw to remove and it was put together with the set screw underneath the pin that you push in to adjust the clutch. It looks like the rear main seal is leaking and there is oil under the front crank seal. Also leaks oil out the rear around the PTO shaft. I took the pressure plate and clutch disc out to make room, the clutch is black like it has oil on it. Odd thing, I have run a 6' Bush Hog on it and the PTO and the engine clutch doesn't slip. This might turn into a long drawn out affair!!!

My advice is to take your time and look over the PTO clutch mechanism carefully, after all of the years of use there is likely some wear in the linkage. The parts are not readily available and many times you have to find used or restore what you have. Kent Gordon in Texas is a good place to start when looking for parts.

Make sure you don't overlook the O-ring that seals the splines on the back of the clutch basket! It will leak oil directly into the friction disks. I always put motoseal on the the splines a bit as well just to be sure it is all sealed up.

Oh yeah, when my PTO clutch went out, it shredded the little linkages that hook everything together. I used what was either #50, or maybe it was #60 roller chain master links. But I only used the side of the links without the pins made onto it. Had to drill out the holes just a bit, and they aren't exactly the same length as the originals, but they worked just fine.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back