560 fuel filter canister gasket

Hartlyboy

I'm doing a restoration of my 560 diesel and have removed the twin fuel filter canisters from the side of the engine to clean off 60 years of dirt and repaint all the parts. All the times I've replaced fuel filters I basically took off the top of the canister and replaced the filter cartridge and 4 1/2 inch gasket that goes under the top.
Now I notice a smaller gasket under the bolt head on the on the top of the lid. My challenge now is to figure out how to replace that smaller gasket. The bolt it is under is attached to the spring mechanism that seals the filter in place and doesn't spin out. Before I mess up anything by trying to take that bolt out to replace the gasket, I thought I'd check with you guys to see how [or if] you've done that job and what it took.

That is a special sealing washer/gasket on the top of the fuel filter canisters. So if you don t use the correct washer to seal it it will leak diesel fuel. Often the surface on the canister top if a bit uneven so the correct washer is often a fiber type. I have experimented with other types such as copper fuel washers and they still leaked. The threaded bolt should come out, when you get it apart make sure you are using the correct washer, if you are not sure and it wasn t leaking from under the bolt before, then put it back together with the same washers.

Some of those old canister filter bolts had a snap ring under the spring so they didn't come out. I would say if it isn't broke don't fix it. I seldom change the rubber seal at the lid when I change filters on my 806 unless it falls out or comes out if it is not leaking I don't bother it. I've got a stack of those type gasket/seals in an old filter box here for several models and filters oil and fuel.

Gasket still available if you have a fram filter.
If you have a purolator then Im not sure , I have the purolator so I have not experienced this problem.
Oil drain plug seal possibly .

Dennis, I do have the gasket that fits under the canister lid that came with the Fram C1163PL filter -about 4 1/2 ' diameter so I'm good there. That little fiber washer under the bolt head on the top of the canister is the issue. IH has a part number for the big gasket but I haven't found a part number or source for the little one.

Getting the bolt out is the bigger problem , however, since my canister lid has the bolt/sleeve peened into the spring loaded flange that sits on top the filter when assembled. I'm going to try pressing the bolt back out through the top and getting the new washer/gasket on that way. Luckily the gasket on the second canister is in good shape and I'm not going to mess with that. It wasn't leaking so I'll take the advice of another responder and won't mess with what isn't broken.

Thanks to all of you for stepping up to help me get the old 560 back to her former glory....

Item 12 is available according to the messicks on line parts
The link = https://www.messicks.com/cas/143098

Looks like what your asking , might be wrong ,tried

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back