59 Oliver 550 Starting Changes

TractorDad3

Greetings and thanks in advance for your thoughts.
American Bosch injection pump. Electric fuel pump nowadays. Working through some older diesel fuel I suppose (2-4 yrs old). In the winter I plug it in for nearly an hour where the block is hotter than the hottest summer day by the time I fire it. Preheaters work. Approx. 3000 hrs on original tach. Follow the owners manual on starting and maintenance procedure.
I have noticed that I am cranking longer and longer before she starts. My question is, can timing change, over time? While she only has 34 hours since rebuilt pump, changed fuel filters and timing checked to be on point (fired up immediately then), I am noticing this longer cranking period now. Ill check and see where its at and maybe advance it a bit further than last time unless one would suggest otherwise.
Just want to know if I should add adjustment to my yearly PM list.

Might want to check the starter to make sure it doesn't need rebuilding. One of our skidsteers was getting where it was hard staring, I didn't notice that the starter was slower but when the starter quit and I put a new starter on it starts like it used to.

Good question
New 3-wire alternator. Shes on for an hour at a time so I think it gets charged up. Good strong pair of 6-volts from 2021 but I will check that voltage running across them.
I suppose it is not exorbitant cranking but doesnt immediately fire up like it did. If my expectations are out of line I should know that. Was starting on the first couple few revolutions. Now up to 5/6 seconds. Writing that now I feel like maybe its not bad

Interesting. I was told it was a new/rebuilt gear reduction starter before I acquired it. But I understand how that statement can go. Seems to be spinning her up fast enough but I would need a little help on what to look/listen for if it isnt

A couple things-is the fuel tank and strainer clean? You could have sediment, etc. traveling through to your filters disrupting fuel delivery. Also, I would ditch the two 6v batteries in favor of the strongest single 12v I could fit. Check all your connections and grounds and make sure their sparkly clean. Not knowing the condition of the tractor, 5-6 second crank time may not be bad. What's the condition of the engine? Good compression? Valves adjusted?

Greetings Scooter, youve helped me out with this one and
fuel settings in the past.

Fuel tank was professionally coated and I did all the fuel
lines. I have read they can fail and clog, so Ill check flow
out the bottom on the secondary with the electric pump
running.

I did try to ditch those, but my gauge cluster quit working
with a big ol marine 12V. Switched back to two 6s and it
was resolved. I will double check my electrical connections.

Have not conducted a compression check. Adjusted the
valves 34 hours ago. Suppose I cant comment too much on
the engine condition but no blowby and only smokes when I
hit the throttle quick. She runs like a typewriter aside from
when it got down in the negative teensshe didnt like
being out in that at first but when warm was good

cvphoto147239.jpg

Well I am embarrassed to find out that while the air cleaner oil is as new as when I put it in, a good 1 of the air cleaner stack diameter is coated with oil and mud. Ill get this addressed and quit starving the engine of the air needed to fire off quick. If it doesnt solve it Ill report back.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back