6000 power for snow blower

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
a friend of mine put an 8 foot double auger single blower snow blower on the back of his 6000. can hardly move as the tractor pulls down so bad. found he was in the high side of the pto so went to low, but did not make much difference. is this just too much blower for the tractor? not the greatest tractor, but runs good and works good with the loader.
thanks
Gary
 
Snow blower has to do with speed - or lack of it. The slower reverse options you have, the better. I forget what options a 6000 has for tranny.

I use a 7 foot blower on a 27 hp tractor - but it has a real slow reverse. Yea it builds up sometimes, just the nature of the beast.

--->Paul
 
even barely creeping back, it bogs the tractor. seems like a lack of power to me, but wondered if the pto is running in high if that would make a difference or not for the lack of power.
 
6000 was SOS only; low reverse should be slow enough, although blowers can take a lot of power. (how much snow were you putting through it?) I used to run a 6' with a 4600, so a 7' on a 6000 -should- be OK. Maybe getting a little low on compression (low on power)?
 
Some blowers are 540; some are 1000. Should match it up with what it is of course, no more, no less. Either way wrong will cause problems.....

Are things spinning the proper direction? I've seen rare blowers that are reverse for some special application, getting converted to 3pt....

Fords have a habbit of wearing out the hyd pump/ pto clutches, is the 6000 in good shape or slipping?

Are we working in a foot of snow, or trying to eat up a 5 foot high hard drift - they always are a problem & take time & slow & effort. (Don't know the experience level here....)

Random ideas.....

--->Paul
 
If you're actually in ~real snow~, you've got way more blower than tractor. I don't think anyone around here would want more than 84" on that size tractor for heavy snow blowing. Most of the 8' blowers go on 100+ hp tractors.

Rod
 
if it's a gas tractor, maybe it's due for points and condensor or complete tune up. Check timing too. And check for correct carb settings, fuel restrictions, and air restrictions. have had gas engines lose power due to points worn to flats and fuel restrictions/carb settings.

diesel, check fuel flow (filters and tank restriction--lift pump too), and air cleaner.

The tractor should sound like it's at least trying to tackle the load vs shutoff with fear of a load. can you take off in high gear from a dead start?


karl f-
 
Something doesnt sound right to me. I have a 6 foot on a caseIH 275 which runs around 30 HP. I have NO problems even with wet heavy snow. By double auger I wonder if that means a fan and an auger or just two augers. The blower might just be a joner. It would be nice to see a picture of his setup.
 
8' double auger says to me that it's got a large lower cross auger and a smaller upper one in a frame about 4' or more high.... and a blower housing/fan with about 4 times the swept volume of you 6' blower.
Big capacity. Big power. More capacity than the 6000 will handle, on a good day... by a country mile.

Rod
 

Don"t know anything about that. but I have a question about the 6000 commander. The spline shaft isn"t turning for the hydraulic pump unless it just catches and turns a little. Do you think the shaft or the plate is rounded. and where could I get the specs for these parts or used one"s? I know they are discontinued. Anybody know anything about this?
 
I don't know much about the 6000 though I'd expect stripped shaft splines. That's a fairly common problem on a lot of tractors.
No idea where you'd get parts unless Fawcett's or Alexander's have something... but the 6000 is long out of favor (if it ever was favored) and most would have been long since scrapped.
You might try to find a good, high end industrial machine shop in your area that does work for big plants, mill, etc. They can probably make the shaft, harden it, etc.... but that's surely going to cost you. Probably more than the tractor is worth.

Rod
 
Paul has a couple of good points....is it a 540 or 1000 pto blower, and is it turning the correct way? If it has been set up as a front mount, it may be spinning the wrong way on the 3pt.
Chris
 
Not only does the 6000 have a 540 and 1000 rpm pto, but you can also select your 540 rpm (and 1000 rpm pto) output at 1730 engine rpm for economy or 2230 engine rpm for power. You can also have ground speed drive pto, which he should not be using for snow blower work. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but with the 6000 SOS transmission if you put the transmission in R1 or R2, the pto will spin backwards? Maybe that is only in ground speed pto drive mode? Philip.
 
hi philip, i think that is on the ground speed which he does not have. i have not watched him run this thing and want to do that this weekend and see if i can tell anything. i think the tractor is too small for what he wants to do. thanks for the thoughts.
 
I just checked Woods website. 6' single auger single fan requires 30-50 hp tractor. 7' double auger single fan requires 60-80 hp tractor. 8' double auger single fan requires 90-175 hp tractor. 6000 has 75 hp at the flywheel. The hosepower numbers blew me away. I know I can run a 6' blower on my 40 hp Kubota. Would not think 8' blower would take that much hp. Philip.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top