620 and battery was too weak to start it. I am not the most
proficient auto-electriction alive and not sure where to
start. I bought this tractor in 1970 and never had this
problem. I see Steiner has a voltage regulator for 38 bucks,
but don't know if that may be the problem.. I can take the
generator for rebuild ( closest shop is 25 miles away), but
don't know if that will help either...Can anyone give a
suggestion ??? Thank you...Dan

It's probably only one of three possible problems: A bad battery. Load test it to confirm. A bad generator and/or a bad regulator. Best bet is to take the generator AND the regulator to your favorite starter/generator guy for rebuild or replacement.

If John T doesn't respond, he had a procedure in archives to test charging system. Best to do that before throwing parts at it

It could be something very simple,Genny lost it's ground to the tractor frame,a broken wire?
Loosen & retighten the mounting bolts might fix it, a stuck brush in the genny..

Check the fan belt as suggested. It's the easiest and cheapest possibility and it will not charge if loose. I inadvertently proved that. Other suggestions are good too, especially load testing battery. Could be a bad cable. Had that happen once when a cable looked perfect. By hook or crook find and copy John T's trouble shooting guide. It's the go-to electrical problem tester/solver.

Thanks guys for the replies !! I tried tightening the fan belt (to no avail) and that expended all my expertise. I will now try other suggestions ( still trying to find Johnt guide...thanks..Dan

John T , thank you for your troubleshooting instructions ! I really didn't want to start spending money not knowing where to start...these look like excellent (and easy to understand ) steps to follow. I now have more confidence to tackle this problem.. Thank you...Dan

John T, thank you for sharing the most informative Trouble shooting guide !! The problem appeared to be a stuck brush spring...with a touch of WD40, the problem seems to be corrected.. Thank you so much ! Dan

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back