'63 4000 Cat2 Lift Arms

ChrisT

Has anyone found a way to get category 2 lift arms on a 4cyl 4000? Not looking to do anything above the capabilities of the tractor. My dad has quite a few implements that my tractor will use just fine, but they are all cat2 and it's a pain constantly swapping pins. I'm almost to the point of buying weld on ends and having a local weld shop put them on my arms, but I was hoping there was something out there that would work better.

Ford did make optional lift arms that were
convertable from cat 1 to cat 2. You turn
the ball sideways and pop them out.
They were used on some of the 3 cylinder
tractors but are not real common. They
would fit your 4000.
I have them on my 3000.
There is supposed to be a spring clip that
holds the balls in place so they don't fall
out when there is no implement on. I just
take the balls out and store them in the
tool box.
Maybe call some bone yards to find a set or
run a wanted ad here on YT?
Photos show a cat 2 ball in place and a cat
1 ball in my hand.

cvphoto152337.jpg

cvphoto152338.jpg

If it were my 4000 (and I might do this on my 4000 eventually) I'd just cut off the worn cat 1 ends and weld on some fresh cat 1/2 ends.

https://www.amazon.com/S-3270-Lower...x=weld+on+cat+1/2+ball+end,aps,109&sr=8-1

No parts to come out and loose, just spin the ball around. If you don't have a welder, this is a good learning project. A basic inverter type stick welder and an angle grinder is all you need to start down the path of your own farm equipment welding repairs.

This post was edited by wp6529 on 04/14/2023 at 05:59 am.

I ve thought about getting a set of those cat 1/2 ends to go on my 4000SU
Clips are broke on the inner changeable ends and we are constantly changing balls
Don t know how many balls have been lost over the years but they are getting a bit pricy
I ve also thought about installing cat 2 balls and welding a strap to the lift arm to keep them from falling, then just use cat 2 - 1 sleeves for cat 1 implements
The sleeves would take up less space in a tool box and are cheaper to replace

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back