630 Power Steering Pump Rebuild

jkmdg84

A few questions about doing a rebuild on my 630 power steering pump. I think the oil seals on my power steering pump are starting to fail as I am seeing some oil below and buildup on the pump. I have been looking at the SM2050 manual and watching a couple youtube videos for pointers. I would like to gather some input from the folks here.

It is probably safe to assume that I need to unbolt the radiator and move it as far forward as possible because of the tight clearance?

A shop press is recommended to be able to compress the fan spring to get the two little retainers off. I don't have immediate access to a shop press, so I was wondering if there are other options that folks have used to remove and reinstall the little retainers?

Once the pump housing is separated from the fan, it seems like a pretty straightforward process in removing and replacing seals, bearing, and maybe bushings, assuming there is no other wear or damage found in the housing, or am I underestimating this?

Thanks for any input!

IIRC C-clamps will work to compress that spring to get the keepers off. Many times the shafts have a groove worn into them and may need replaced. If the splines are good and the seal surfaces clean up ,but if the keyway is wallowed out I have cut a new keyway on the opposite side of the shaft.

On the subject of removing the retainers - I used my drill press to compress the spring on my manual steering JD 50 because the fan shaft assembly was too long to fit into my shop press. As Mike says too - a little ingenuity and a couple of c-clamps would work. I faintly remember using a couple of pipe clamps many years ago on my 630, but it required four hands to get the job completed.

Pay attention to the seal orientation. I put one or both in backwards once and had to do it all over again. It was easier the second time, ha.

Place a big piece of heavy cardboard between the fan blades and the radiator core before you start disassembly. Pay attention to the orientation of seals as you take the pump apart. The YouTube videos probably made mention of the correct installation of seals.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back