Jo Knight

Member
I have a 641 Ford that is cutting out and spitting so bad after the tractor is used for about 15 minutes that I have to shut it down for a few minutes and then start it up again. When I start it up after it sets for a few minutes it works fine and after it warms up again it starts sputtering and spitting so bad I can"t use it. Tonight is the first night that this has ever happened. I am very frustrated with my tractor.
 
I have a Ford 641 that was doing the same thing a couple weeks ago. I inspected the gas tank and noticed some debris floating around inside. I shut off the fuel line under the tank, then went around and removed the sediment bowl and placed a bucket under the point where the fuel empties into the sediment bowl. Then I opened up the fuel line again and let the gas flush out for a 30 seconds or so. Then I shut off the fuel line, replaced the sediment bowl, opened the fuel line back up and it started and ran like a new tractor. There must have been a chunk of debris in the fuel line. It's an easy thing to try that might help.
 
id check the fuel, but it also sounds like it could be the coil...i would check the fuel first, thats cheaper to do and if it works you will be on your way fairly easly.
 
I am confused as to why it only spits and sputters when the tractor is good and warm....why wouldn't do it all of the time if there is dirt or something in the gas tank or gas line.
 

To eliminate a fuel delivery problem remove the pipe plug in the bowl and install a clear plastic fuel line,,,, run/tie it up a foot are so so you can observe the fuel level in the carb when it sputters...
 
The tractor runs good until the float bowl empties. After the tractor sits for a few minutes the float bowl refills and you start over again.
 
Jo.......15-mins is just the right time frame for yer weaksister ignition switch internal contacts to HEAT up and cause weak sparkies and missing. Takes 15-20 mins to cool down for re-start. Do I haffta tell you to REPLACE yer ignition switch???? ($15, cheap).......Dell, yer self-appointed sparkie-meister
 
don't just go out and buy a switch.. jumpe rthe old one out.. or if the wires look bad.. jump bat to coil.. just as a test.

dirty wire contacts will get you as bad as a bad switch.

soundguy
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top