674 broken trans shifter??

Lynn Patrick

Thanks in advance for any help! I usually hang out around the Ford sites, but my son's gas 674 shuttle shifter broke yesterday & we are at a loss where to start. He was using it w/a loader & went to shift from forward to reverse & the lever just moves freely. We found the shaft it connects to that goes into the trans case broken flush w/the case. (I hope I am describing it somewhat right!)
Where do we start? Does the trans top cover need removed first (after the seat, etc......)? Can the shaft be removed or are we looking at a major split & tranny tear down???
Thanks again, as you can tell we have no experience w/this problem!

Does the tractor actually have a ..shuttle shift.. which
generally means the gear lever only shifts between
forward and reverse? The online parts diagrams does
not show that type of a layout. I will attach it a link to it
so you can look at it and hopefully
give the actual part that you say has broken. Also
check your email I am going to sent you some other
documentation.
IH 674 online parts catalog

I am NOT the expert on utility tractors , BUT myy guessen here is yup it's going to take a lot of wrench twisten to remove and replace the shifter shaft if it goes into the case and not a Cover .

If it has the high low and reverse on the one lever and 4 gears on the other lever and all beside the left side of the seat yes the top has to come off. Along with the fuel tank and seat. The red plate under the seat can be removed with the seat you do have to feed the PTO and 3pt levers through the slots as you lift it off and when you put it back on. The fuel tank has 2 lines under the back fairly easy to get to one on each side. There is a cross line that will beed to be unfastened so it doesn't get bent in the removal process. The seat platform bolts stick out by the rear wheel on both sides in behind the wheel. the fuel tank can be done 2 ways unbolt the fenders with the tank and lift it all off together or we just unbolt the tank and leave the fenders. Once the top is off there is a nut on the back end of the shift shaft next to the little fork like deal that comes off the shaft. IF I remember right they have a timing like skip in the spline for the shaft and the inside lever thing. We just put them back together and weld them up and forget the o-ring on them. Yes it might leak a bit but it is a P poor design. The o-ring should have been in the rear case and the shaft smooth. as it is the o-ring is in a groove in the shaft which is where it always breaks. Without air tools it takes about half a day to remove and put back together. There are 3 teflon rings you will need new for this from your local stealer that seal the brakes and another place to the front of the cover. The old ones can not be reused and I believe they come seperate from the gasket.

I've done several. Not to bad a job.remove seat seat platform and,and fuel tank
fenders as an assy. Drain fuel. Hardest bolts to get out are the fender bolts that go
into the axle if tires are in tight. Not much room. Then remove necessary lines,remove
top casting. When going back together don't forget the three Teflon rings that go on
with the gasket with the top casting. Keep linkage lined up so it doesn't happen
again. The shift shaft has a oring and they will seize up out side of the oring groove
and that is where they snap off

Years ago an experienced IH Mechanic posted a procedure to replace the broken shifter lever by removing the MCV and hydraulic pump, cutting the handle on a 7/8 open end wrench and working through the hole where the
MCV/Hydraulic pump was removed from, see below.

Posted by Bernard le mcano Qubec Canada
I have changed many of those parts, at the Case-IH dealer, where I have worked. You can remove the lever and replace it by the left side of the rear transmission. Just drain the oil, remove the MCV control valve (the plate
that hold the hydraulic pump and filter). With a short 7/8 open wrench, loosen the sealed nut, remove the broken shaft and replace with the new one. It has a big spline for the timing. Just align the short lever with the fork.

Youtube link for 574 removing 3pt cover and replacing shifter levers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb1fNlrwc_g

If you don't have the IH 54/74 Series Service Manuals, I posted a link below.
Theses are the IH UK manuals and if your 674 was assembled in Louisville, KY, USA there will be different electrics, power steering and remote hydraulic controls but the power train was all made in Doncaster, UK.
IH 74 series manuals

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back