'68 3020 3 point doesn't work

jtoro2716

New User
I'm sure there are a ton of threads on similar issues, but I couldn't find my specific problem. I'll preface this by saying that this is my first tractor and I'm trying to figure things out as I go. The previous owner only used it for hay and never used the 3point. I plan on using it for the same, but would like to make sure everything works. So here's my issue. Through the valve it does nothing. When I try to raise it, I can hear the pump whine as it would when it's moving fluid, but no movement. When I move the load control lever down to L then the rockshaft go up to the top all by itself. If I try to lower them, nothing. I have to move them back to LD or D to get them to drop. Any help would be Appreciated

Put it in D and check operation up and down. If it works fine leave it in D and forget about it. Do you have an operators manual?

If I put it in D it will only go down if I put weight on the it, which I'd expect since it's gravity, but it will not go up in any position via the control lever. The only way it will go up is if I put it in L and it goes up but itself regardless of the lever position. I have an operators, service and parts manual

(quoted from post at 22:15:02 04/19/21)
If I put it in D it will only go down if I put weight on the it, which I'd expect since it's gravity, but it will not go up in any position via the control lever. The only way it will go up is if I put it in L and it goes up but itself regardless of the lever position. I have an operators, service and parts manual

Welcome to YT
Sounds typical for JD tractor that L/D control mechanism requires adjustments verbatim as outlined in a JD 4020 tech manual

If I am correct, yours is the last year BEFORE the side console. Please take no offense at this, as none is intended. Is the control cable from the dash down around to the valve intact and working like it should?

Tx Jim has it. First adjust the rockshaft like the service manual says. You will need a deep well socket and a very long extension. Weld or tape the socket on as I have heard stories of them falling off inside the tractor. If that does not give results you need to look at the valve itself. Tom

(quoted from post at 07:56:35 04/20/21) If I am correct, yours is the last year BEFORE the side console. Please take no offense at this, as none is intended. Is the control cable from the dash down around to the valve intact and working like it should?

I don't offend so no worries and I have no shame in saying that even though I am very mechanically capable, I have no idea what I am doing. When I move the lever I can hear a pump whine so i assume the cable is fine, but I will double check.

Thanks Tx Jim and tomstractorsandtoys, I will grab my shop manual and I will adjust as outlined. Greatly appreciate the assistance and I will report back

(quoted from post at 07:56:35 04/20/21) If I am correct, yours is the last year BEFORE the side console. Please take no offense at this, as none is intended. Is the control cable from the dash down around to the valve intact and working like it should?

Also, yes it's the last year before the side console

I was adjusting the rockshaft and while it went up and down when turning the nut it did very little with the lever. I checked the cable and it seemed to move to but wasn't the easiest to see. I decided to pull the side housing and when I moved the lever at the console, the lever at the rockshaft housing barely moved. I removed the lower console cover and the cowl. When I moved the lever it pushed the cable down, all of it, not just the core. When I looked farther I can see a clamp just hanging. So nothing was holding the cable. I'll have to see where the bracket attaches. I'll also have to see where the throttle return spring bracket mounts as I saw the spring and bracket dangling. I'll get it all working eventually.

3 pt control cable on early model tractors such as yours has a history of cable binding in housing. I suggest to remove cable/housing & soak entire cable/housing in oil or diesel.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back