68 4020 3 point assistance.

GunGeek

Ok so I am about done with the 4020 and before I put the ROPS and canopy on I need to fix an issue with the 3point lift. When I got the tractor the right side rockshaft cover was already off and the previous owner handed me a new cable for it when I bought the tractor, there was no cable on it at all. They did not have the entire rockshaft block off that I can tell because I had to clear a metric ton of crud out between it and the seat thanks to a 40 year old rag stuck in there. I purchased the missing pieces of the cable, clamp etc and am working to get it moving like my 3020 does.

Here is what it does.

In the D Position - Must move lever almost all the way to the top to get it to move. And when it does it just goes about 1/4 to 1/3 up then stops. I cannot set it in position it goes to that one spot and that is it. My cable is maxed out on how short it can be. (Note if I remove the cable from the linkage back there I can rotate the lever more and it works as I think it should be carefully moving the lever to different spots to keep from smashing my fingers)

LD and L position - Move lever about to the 1 - 1.5 ish mark (i have no sticker) It goes all the way up pretty quickly.

I have the JD service manual and it says I can do this on the tractor without removing that whole block there. I understand for the most part what I need to do. I am trying to walk my self through it before I do.

Here is an image of how the linkage all looks inside with the dash lever all the way in the DOWN position thanks to my handy dandy inspection camera. Based on the image which way do I need to skip? Forward or back. I am thinking that I need to skip about 2 or 3 teeth.
gHGhiYW.jpg

Hello,
Did you adjust the load contral shaft response per the service manaul? Screw is visible on right lower side of your picture.

I suggest for you to get a JD 4000 series tech manual & adjust L/D mechanism as outlined in JD tech manual.

Many yrs ago I've witnessed the gears in your photo get ''out of time" but I can't remember the circumstances that lead up to this happening.

Jim I have the service manual for both 3020 and 4020. It outlines it the same way in both as far as I can tell. Per the second part of that where it says it must raise when forward side of lever is at 1.5 while in L I have adjusted the 9/16 nut to where it does that or there about.

Problem I have is that in D it only goes up about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way.

Now if I tighten that nut up through the back plug ALL the way. It will go up almost all the way in D but still will not act properly in that if I put it in 4 it doesn't go to 4 and stop, I still have to move it almost all the way to the top.

Also L and L/D. Do not raise/lower where they are supposed to at 1.5/2.5 respectively when I tighten it.

I hope I am making sense. I have been out there this AM playing with it freezing my ars off.

This is the page out of the 3020 manual.
uwL7YVa.jpg

It's possible cam follower is not in correct location in RS control linkage or is broken. IIRC there's also a spring that could be broken or disconnected.

(quoted from post at 10:45:52 02/21/21)
It's possible cam follower is not in correct location in RS control linkage or is broken. IIRC there's also a spring that could be broken or disconnected.

Thank you Jim as always.

I have it working properly again. I did the first part of that section and pulled the quill. I will tell you one thing, those instructions are missing a step that had me literally fighting myself. Sticking the long screw driver down there and applying pressure is fine to pull it OFF.

When you go to put it back on though. Once you start it in [b:87d9c38fec]pull the dang screw driver out[/b:87d9c38fec] or you are fighting yourself to get it threaded. I swear I fought for over an hour trying to get it back in with my spouse (god bless her) attempting to help. She was pulling on the screw driver as I instructed. I was trying to get the dang quill threaded in. The pressure on the bottom from the screw driver was making the area where the quill meets the pinion crooked. Once I pulled out the screw driver I popped it right in.

You're welcome & I'm glad you & your better half got tractor repaired.

I agree JD engineers took extreme efforts to make RS control linkage complicated.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back