68 GMC V6 Specs

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
Brother gave me a solid old 68 GMC 1ton with the 305 V6. Needs tuneup and I can't find specs anywhere. Anyone have the point gap, dwell, timeing specs etc?

Think it will make a great tractor puller/hauler.

Appreciate your help.

Carl
 
pick up an old Motor Manual for the correct year like Larry is telling ya. They are extremely helpful for lots of specs & repairs. Probably find one on Ebay. I used to have a '61 GMC with v6 305. Its a gas hog & not real powerful but it'll do good for hauling tractors. I hauled cross ties & logs with mine. Nobody collects those motors so parts are plentiful.
 
Thanks Gents,

Thought I had a manual for that year; but, can't find that one. You missplace things like that when you're in the military and move every couple years.
 
Motors truck manuals are usually available on eBay.

The V6 Jimmy is a wonderful engine. Gobs of torque. I recall hearing about someone who swapped out a small block Chevy for their V6; they ended up having to swap rear ends as well because the Chevy didn't have the low end torque of the Jimmy.

GMC made several different versions of this engine, including a V-12. These were popular irrigation pump engines for many years, running on natural gas.

One interesting thing about the GMC engine is that it's a 60 degree vee. Almost all V-6 engines today are 90 degree engines with offset cranks.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top