6V or 12V headlight?

Smiles79

Working on the TO20 I picked up, I realized the headlights weren't working because the power wires were cut. Is there any way to tell if these headlights are 12V or 6V? The only markings I see is "SL" in the center and "C3" (written vertically) off to the side. My tractor has been converted to 12V.

If these are in fact 6V can anyone recommend me a good 12V replacement? I'd like to keep the housings and just replace the bulbs

Thanks! Pictures linked below.

https://imgur.com/a/fer2F3Z

Those are old 'sealed beam' ... probably 6V and why the wires were cut. You could take one to Napa and see what they have the same size in 12V. Even at 12v they will be dim and work more to give other's visibility of your tractoring than for you to see.

For my pair of 35s, both had the stock lights wiped off at some point in their life's journey. I just bought 12V LED lights with new housings. I'm chasing performance and work, not parade-ready official factory appearance so you may elect other options.

For the one I got a set of slim vertical LED lights I mounted were the originals were, using original sheet metal holes. Eight inches tall and only stick out from the body an inch or so. I almost put them behind the grill to shine out but I get more light where they are and it was less fiddling at the time. Wire routing is more of an issue putting lights up there, if you need to remove the hood to work on something.

The other tractor I used block style LED 4x3 inches and mounted them back by the battery on the front lower lip of the dashboard where I could bolt on a couple of brackets. Kind of like Allis Chalmers WD tractors. This not only gives me great visibility, but also illuminates the whole engine on both sides so if I need to see something like check the oil in the dark I have lights to work by. I think I spent $16 on the pair off Amazon. I bought a second pair of these to put one light as the back light of both tractors, then i used lens repair tape to make them orange which I had at the time, probably get some red tape at some point.

There could be LED direct replacement for the old sealed beam models. My AC WD lights look like sealed beams but are just glass lenses over sockets that I bought LED replacements for the "1152" or whatever they were bayonet style bulbs.

The other item I bought was Harbor Freight truck/trailer strip reflectors and then cut white and red sections to fit where I wanted front and back on the tractor -- so it's easier for others to see the tractor in the dark pushing snow around.

This post was edited by jvin248 on 12/21/2022 at 05:25 am.

A lot of bulbs were marked on the side and if 6 volt marked 6 or 8 volt. Newer
bulbs marked 12 volts.

Look for numbers stenciled on the back (the side of the sealed beam the terminals are on). There should be a 4-digit number like 4411 that will identify it. It may be very faint. 4019 and 4511 are a couple common 6-volt numbers. 4411 and 4419are a couple 12-volt numbers as examples.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back