7 years ago today

jon f mn

Today seven years ago was a momentous day, made it to Vermont, the last of the lower 48 states for me to visit. Even took some out of route miles to go all the way to the top to drive all the interstate in that state. It was only a short while later that I made it out west and finished my trip down I-5 in California and also completed my goal of driving every mile of interstate in the USA. There were many positives in being an over the road driver including meeting many wonderful people from here. Got so see some beautiful country in that time. I miss some things about it from time to time, but like being home and around family much more.

WOW! Some milestones there. Longest trip I ever made was ~700 miles & thought that was too much & was only 25 years old.

That is a feat that may be unique to you. Seriously cool. I have been around, but no where near that mighty record. Welcome home. (Belated) Jim

I'm not sure on the total. Drove hard as a company driver the first three years but didn't keep track. Also didn't keep track on my first dart truck. I put a million miles on the first new dart truck and 550,000 on the new Volvo and 150,000 on the last Kenworth with dart. Now another 2 1/2 years local. I'm sure I'm over two million but not sure how much.

That is no small feat. Great job.

I am more of a drive the same mile over and over guy even when I was running over the road.

I can remember one bid I ran years ago. Atlanta to LA and back then Atlanta to Tampa and back every week. Over and over and never opened the trailer door. We was putting almost 300k on a truck every year.

Good job well done. I had 25 years over the road. And the biggest part of that was before many of the Interstates were built. One of the longest runs that I had was and I did it for 6 years straight was from New York City to Birmingham, Ala. nd unto Jackson, Miss. Real hard trip with a 671 Gmc or an old 200 cummins. Loaded both ways also.

I admire the truck drivers in this country, they are the back bone of the commerce in this country, Canada and Mexico, without them every thing we eat, drink or consume in any way is brought to you by truck. I also admire the Amish and their life style, I lived without indoor plumbing until I got married at 20 y o. I could not go back to that life style or drive truck.

Pete

You know Jon and other drivers...... You guys may be the most patient people there are. All the road closures.... Detours..... Unfortunate accidents up ahead..... Etc. I salute you guys/gals for moving food and goods across the country that puts food on our table. The truck is your home and you clean up at the shower at the truck stop and home cooked meals are few and far between. It's easy to see the sacrifices you make for America. Wingnut

Jon, I remember you telling about it back then because you were so close to NH at the time. Congratulations on being a free man again!!

I drove otr and local truck (end and belly dumps) for a couple/few years back in the 1980s.
Did not like otr and it must have showed as I was let go - twice. Lol.
Only times I've ever been fired from a job.
I still keep up my class A license. Dunno why.

In the 80's and 90's I drove for Radio Shack and went to all of the lower 48 states. I drove lots of two lane (skinny) roads so now I like to revisit those routes on my Harley. One road in particular that I would like to ride again is US 20 from Bend, Oregon to Ontario, Oregon. I'm afraid to try it though because I have to refuel every 100 miles and only carry a one gallon jerry can. By the way I have 65,000 miles on my Sportster.

I've kept mine too, and although it's a renewal cost every 8 years, and the DOT physical cost is also out of pocket every 2 years, I figure why give up an accomplishment like having this license. I think it's 32 years now, got mine before the CDL was mandated and have been around commercial trucks since I was a very young kid operating the tilt flatbed & winch on our C800 Ford from our tractor dealership. Wish I had a photo of that, pulling one of those new thousand series up onto the bed !

I will say, "there is no place like home". Great accomplishment, even better to have that in the mirror and behind you. You've got a great place now, good local work, home every night, probably appreciate that quite a bit.

I spent 15 years working away from home during the week, I do not miss it one bit and I have a standing offer to go back, can pretty much name my price within reason, don't think I'll do it, unless it figures in to catapult retirement earlier. At least I've got a 2 year local gig for now, I just don't want to spend Sunday and Friday afternoons on the road. I used to think cheating Sunday by leaving 3AM on Mondays was getting me somewhere, nothing enjoyable about that either.

Like this?
cvphoto2723.jpg

The deck was similar, it tilted to the ground, had a winch up on the front of it. The truck was a C-800 Ford COE type. Our mechanics made the body in the shop for this truck, it was the 2nd one we had. I know there are later photos of this truck in the background in some of the photos my father likely has. Fairly common set up in those days for hauling these tractors.

I forgot to add, I still used the CDL on occasion, it made me $500/day several times this winter, so I'm good on covering the next physical and renewal. Not a fan of OTR or full time work, not so bad for part time though.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back