706 282D - head bolts - supplier?

dhermesc

I started looking for new head bolts for this tractor and learned they are expensive. On top of being expensive ($160 to $240) a couple of the kits mentioned the long bolts are actually to long and one included an extra hard thick washer and the other supplier advised you to find said washer.

I came across a thread on a website talking about this issue and they advised buying Caterpillar head bolts

9S1374 - list $5.10 each, 1D4574 - list $3.84 each

They also advised buying Caterpillar parts - not after market Cat parts.

Anyone used these bolts in a 282? They are a lot cheaper and they are original Caterpillar parts - for what that is worth.

I would rather use Cat parts than after market IH parts from China.

SPECIFICATIONS FOR PART NUMBER 9S-1374
Thread: Coarse Thread UNC
Hole Thread Pitch: 13
Grip Length - 2 (in): 6.50
Head Width - 5 (in): 0.75
Grade: 8
Head Height - 4 (in): 0.39
Finish: Phosphate and Oil Coated
Total Bolt Length - 3 (in): 8
Thread Size (in - TPI) (in): 1/2-13
Bolt Length (in): 8
Head Height (in): 0.39
Grip Length (in): 6.5
Drive (in): 3/4
Bolt Type: Hex Head Bolt
Material: Steel
Material Description: SAE J429 Grade 8. Head Marking - 6 radial lines (150 ksi Ultimate Tensile Strength)
Coating: Zinc Phosphate + Oil

SPECIFICATIONS FOR PART NUMBER 1D-4574
Finish: Phosphate and Oil Coated
Grade: 8
Hole Thread Pitch: 13
Head Width - 5 (in): 0.75
Total Bolt Length - 3 (in): 6
Thread: Coarse Thread UNC
Head Height - 4 (in): 0.39
Grip Length - 2 (in): 4.75
Thread Size (in - TPI) (in): 1/2-13
Bolt Length (in): 6
Head Height (in): 0.39
Grip Length (in): 4.75
Drive (in): 3/4
Bolt Type: Hex Head Bolt
Material: Steel
Material Description: SAE J429 Grade 8. Head Marking - 6 radial lines (150 ksi Ultimate Tensile Strength)
Coating: Zinc Phosphate + Oil

When I replaced mine I used bolts from dealer. Not cheap
But I have often seen Cat bolts recommended for this application. Another option is to use head bolt stud bolts.
Theyre available from Murphys motor service.

I'd call ARP and talk to someone about what they could offer. They are about the most knowledgeable supplier for threaded fasteners. They won't be the cheapest, but probably the best.

Should be three different lengths . Row for the rocker arm supports and then some longer ones by manifold with steel spacers to get the head up high enough to get at them decent plus a couple three short ones.

Early 282 didn't use the longer ones with spacers by manifold and were mean to get at for good torqueing down when fully assembled.

We never got into replacing all the bolts until many years later and on later engines. They would give you a chart to check for stretching but , have seen some busted head bolts in the 282.

I have rather mixed feelings about replacing all bolts. I think it amounts to guys just over torqueing a lot of them just because they were having trouble. We never even replaced connecting rod bolts and lord only knows how many times they have been torqued down checking clearances and replacing bearings over the years.

The 361 engine was bad for corroding a lot of the head bolts so a lot of them got replaced, but then didn't have to tear those engines down very often either.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back