71 ford 4000 steering ram bending

Ban617

New User
Good morning everyone

I have a 71 Ford 4000 3cyl gas tractor and out of the blue the right side steering ram bent, I bought a new one because the seal broke and got wormed out when I bent it straight, put the new one in bled the system and made it around my house and the rod bent again, it seams as if when I turn right the steering ram moves out of alignment which is causing it to bend, any thoughts on how I can fix this. I attached a picture of when the rod bent

Attachments

• IMG_3021.jpeg
    IMG_3021.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 26
I sure can. I had the same problem on an old friends 3000. After bending a couple shafts(made my own on a lathe). I discovered that the pressure relief valve on the side of the pump was stuck. It would bend that shaft before you could say boo. Took it apart, cleaned it up, and it worked fine. It was a little tiny check valve that moisture had gotten to.

I sure can. I had the same problem on an old friends 3000. After bending a couple shafts(made my own on a lathe). I discovered that the pressure relief valve on the side of the pump was stuck. It would bend that shaft before you could say boo. Took it apart, cleaned it up, and it worked fine. It was a little tiny check valve that moisture had gotten to.
Where would the valve be, I am new to this tractor and learning all about it. And thank you so much for the help

Here is a link to Messicks parts catalog, it show a good breakdown of the pump and parts.
https://www.messicks.com/nh/138355 Part #14 is the relief valve assembly. If I remember correctly, part #20 was stuck inside part #18. If you decide to disassemble it, be very careful to note the order it comes apart, and orientation of each part. Remember there is pressure on the relief spring, so it doesn't go flying. If you have limited mechanical skills and tools, find someone that has both to help you. Also, the valves are available in the aftermarket.

Agree with SkipperII
I bent 2 on my 4000SU before pulling the pump and cleaning the relief valve, these pumps only operate at 850 psi
If you replace the pump make sure it is one with 850 psi relief
4000 all purpose pump has 1100 psi relief but it doesn’t use those small steering cylinders

Here is a link to Messicks parts catalog, it show a good breakdown of the pump and parts.
https://www.messicks.com/nh/138355 Part #14 is the relief valve assembly. If I remember correctly, part #20 was stuck inside part #18. If you decide to disassemble it, be very careful to note the order it comes apart, and orientation of each part. Remember there is pressure on the relief spring, so it doesn't go flying. If you have limited mechanical skills and tools, find someone that has both to help you. Also, the valves are available in the aftermarket.
Thank you so much, I will pull it apart this weekend and report back

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back