74 Massey 135 Vineyard

gd0858

New User
I recently picked up a Massey 135, from a nearby orchard that purchased it new. Its serial number dates it to 1974 (9A205XXX). It's a 6 spd, 3cyl diesel, with differential lock.

Based on the front axle being the square tube style, and the rear axle being short, I believe it's a vineyard model. However, the rear axle housing assemblies are off by a few digits. I just received my parts book and service manual. The parts book suggests the housing assemblies for the vineyard version with diff lock are part number 969707M92 and 969705M92. Mine are stamped 969706M1 and 969708M1. Any ideas what year/model/configuration this axle housing assembly is from? Anything else that I should be taking into consideration that may not match up in my parts book?

Thanks! Greg

(quoted from post at 13:58:08 04/21/22) I recently picked up a Massey 135, from a nearby orchard that purchased it new. Its serial number dates it to 1974 (9A205XXX). It's a 6 spd, 3cyl diesel, with differential lock.

Based on the front axle being the square tube style, and the rear axle being short, I believe it's a vineyard model. However, the rear axle housing assemblies are off by a few digits. I just received my parts book and service manual. The parts book suggests the housing assemblies for the vineyard version with diff lock are part number 969707M92 and 969705M92. Mine are stamped 969706M1 and 969708M1. Any ideas what year/model/configuration this axle housing assembly is from? Anything else that I should be taking into consideration that may not match up in my parts book?

Thanks! Greg

Is the number actually stamped into the housing, using stamps, or is it cast (raised from the casting surface) as part of housing? Casting numbers were used to identify the raw castings. Many times the casting numbers were not used as part numbers. Generally the part number is assigned to a casting after it has been machined to become the actual finished part.

That is the likely reason they don't match the part number. That cast number identified the raw casting for, and from, the foundry. Some castings even have codes of different types to identify when they were cast. The part number in the book was assigned to the finished part. Very common that the numbers do not match.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back