756 oil pump question 310 diesel

pt756

Hello, repair guy thinks we should get a new oil pump for the 756 german diesel, i see they are not being made anymore but rebuild kits are available, what wears out on the oil pumps on the models and how can you tell the wear? thanks

Well IF YOU HAVE LOW OIL PRESSURE It may not be the oil pump persay . YOu may be in need of main and rod bearings and a crank regrind . I don't have any idea of how many hours on the engine or how it was cared for . Then there are the cam bearings . ALL have something to do with oil pressure . It could be that your engine is a wee bit past due on a major rebuild . Yea i know you did not want to hear that . I am not there to see what is going on . Does it loose pressure as it warms up , then it is past time . If pressure is low from get go them yup Pump or wrong weight oil . Myself i am not a fan of the 15-40 . As that came on in 1978 with the onset of the BIG CAM CUMMINS , Back then i ran a small cam and was advised to run the 30 weight ONLY . Your tractor was built BEfore 1978 and when new it was advised to run the #1 Diesel in 30 weight down to 32 degrees and below it was 10 weight . Here we run the 30 wight year round and yes at time we dip down to the BURRRRR i ain';t going out there . temps. , Yes they start hard when not plugged in .

If I were to hazard a guess... everything that's included in the rebuild kit?

Doesn't seem like anybody knows or thinks it important enough to know, as I've seen this question on other forums as well with no real answer.

Sounds like you're questioning the need to do anything to the pump more than anything. Most pumps are replaced because you're in there anyway and there's no better time to do it. At least you know it's "new."

Just going by what I've seen in forums and heard "on the street" the oil pump is RARELY the cause of oil pressure problems. Lost count of the number of times I've heard "replaced the oil pump... still have low oil pressure." They're in denial that the engine needs more serious work.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back