85 PTO Hp Cab Tractor Recommendation

Bill VA

Might be on the hunt for a 85ish PTO tractor from the late 70s to mid 80s with factory cab, good AC.

Thought about a MF 1085 to compliment my MF 1105, but dont read the greatest of reviews.

This would be a haying tractor.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Hard to find one in good shape anymore, but it's hard to go wrong with a White 2-85. A 2-105 would be the same tractor, but 105 horse because of the turbo. They've proven themselves over the years to be a way better tractor than initial sales at a bad time in the equipment industry would indicate by their numbers sold.

I have no specific suggestions but I would want a quite cad. Not all cabs of that era were sound suppressed

We had a lot of expensive bad experiences with the 1085 we had , too bad ,knacky tractors. Ford 7710 might be a suggestion Id make. 1105s were great.,

Agree with posters on White. 2-85, or 2-105, or slightly newer 110. We had a 2-105. Comments include:

- Cab is ok. We wore hearing protection, which is ok with AC.
- Most have hydraulic remotes without float. Maybe not a big thing baling. But not good with many flex wing mowers (we added 2 aftermarket circuits, which is easy to do)
- Perkins engine is similar to MF. Good on fuel.
- 3 speed power shift sure is nice. But freewheeling in low can take some getting used to.

Good luck!

The 4.318 engine is known for head gasket issues and new head bolts/studs is recommended when changing them, think there is 17 bolts/studs so it gets expensive. If can you get a good running 1085 and make sure it is cooling properly and let it warm up before use and and cool down after it should help avoid head gasket issues. The Whites are a good suggestion or a MF 699 if you can find one.

Ford 7700 worked its guts out for me, Im sure you can find problems with them but lot of good n that 7000 series.

Paul

(quoted from post at 03:08:34 08/26/23) 4030 or 4040....

Ben

Ditto on 4030/4040 or Ford 7700/7710. I'll advise to avoid JD tractors with cabs built in Mannheim factory due to poor electrical & AC performance. Yrs ago I drove my friends IH 986 for 4 hrs & thought to myself never again because to me it was very operator unfriendly.

I had a 2 wheel drive, 1979 4230 100 PTO HP with the sound guard cab cosmetically restored at 3900 mowing hours at time of purchasing. Very nice tractor and only sold it because I retired and downsized to a 65 PTO HP tractor. Looking at today's prices I should have kept it and let inflation take it's toll. I would have almost doubled my money in today's market. But, no sense crying over spilled milk!

That's what I've always said about my 730 diesel electric start. Factory wide front and three point, tires were two years old. I sold it in 79 for $2500.

7700 '76-'80 or 7710 ford '81-86. A post '86 (series II) 7710 '86-'91 would have the superQ cab that is very quiet and has fantastic a/c that is considered the best of the series with lots of cheap aftermarket parts. Or move into the 7740/ts100 series but rely more on dealer parts $$$$$. No need to say these tractors are getting harder to find.

Ford 7710 series II would be my choice but I like blue tractors
JD 2955 is a good one to have if you like green
2-85 White also comes to mind
Lots of other good Brands out there but I don t know what model equals yo the hp you mentioned

We put a lot of hours on a cabbed 886 with the German diesel. It was overhauled twice and was sold with over 20,000 hours on it. Younger brother rolled the tractor on its side and a salvage cab was put on it that was many times better than the beatup cab it had. Painted it and installed a cab kit then ran it for another year. Sold it for close to $16,000 at a consignment auction. It was still running well and the biggest issue it has was a sloppy shifter, the rest of the tractor was still pretty tight.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back