853 bobcat boss codes??

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
I am borrowing a bobcat 853 skidsteer that I may buy. It is pretty worn and when the throttle is bumped up to use it a loud beep and the display shows a code listed as a air filter warning, AF-2. It has new air filters installed, and seems to run fine. the right wheels creep in reverse when at idle with sticks loose. I had heard that the BOSS system was really just a set of sensors, that could be wired in series to the injection pump cutoff if the system crashed and a new one was not available. What do you all think of these particular machines. It is a '95 I think
rick
 
The BOSS system was the forerunner to the computer controlled electrics/hydraulics the Bobcats have now. The only thing it done really well was throw codes at you when nothing is wrong.

I'm sure the BOSS could be bypassed but I've never done it and dont want to. It would be a simple matter to wire the starter and injection pump from the key switch but some of the hydraulic functions need voltage to work too.

853's were kinda short lived meaning they didn't make them very many years. But that doesn't mean they are a bad machine. I recently replaced the gear reduction box for one of the drive motors on an 853, Bobcat wanted over $3K for this 1 piece and the machine has 2 of them.

The creeping is likely steering bushings needing replaced and reset to zero, some of the 853's were servo steering they just had a short cable from the handle to the pump lever but even they require periodic adjustments.

This is my personal opinion, an F-series 863 (mid to late 90's) with the standard linkage steering (not servo) is the machine to have.
 
That helps a lot. I might buy if cheap enough. I plan on using this on the ranch for removing small cedar brush with a tree shark (front mounted hedge trimmer) I have. I will check the linkage this weekend. I see where the engine compartment has some disconnected wire, mostly lights on the rear door. The engine doesn't smoke and starts right up. It does have a hydraulic leak the owner says. He has just added hydraulic fluid as needed. I was concerned about the bypass of the BOSS, because I had been told that some of the BOSS circuit boards are no longer available. This would be troublesome.
thanks again for the thoughts.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top