860 Freeze Plug installation

Hemmjo

In a previous thread we discussed how to install the plug on the back of the block that is partially blocked by the transmission. I recently completed that task without splitting the tractor.

I turned 1/4 steel bar to proper size. I made the driver in 2 pieces so it would not be so thick. One piece fits into the plug, then you can use a pry bar to get it started. Then switch to the other piece which engages the rim of the plug to finish prying and hammering to seat the plug. This second piece also prevents the plug from being pushed in too far. It was quicker, and more fun for me, to make the tool than to split the tractor.

Photos below show the steps and the installer. The installer is also used to install the easy plugs by assembling the plates to the bolt.

cvphoto158531.png

cvphoto158530.png

I would never use one of those rubber plugs, at best they are a quick fix to get you by until you have time to do a proper repair. I do my best to only repair things one time.

They are also too thick to fit into that spot. The brass plug slid down into position easily, but it is was any thicker it would not.

The threads serve two purposes.

The plates were cut from 1/4 x 2 bar stock. Then drilled in the center and taped for 1/2-13 thread. Then I chucked a 1/2 bolt in the lathe to use as an arbor for the plates. A nut threaded onto the bolt holds the plates away from the chuck. Using 2, 1/4 plates instead of a single 1/2 plate allows the pieces separated and be thin enough to slip into that tight spot on the tractor. Machining the two plates at the same time as one piece, allows them to be removed and replaced on the bolt and still be perfectly aligned. The flat spot is from making a 2 3/16 circle from a 2 square plate.

cvphoto158570.png

The threads also allow the plates to be threaded on a bolt for use with a hammer to pound in the plugs that allow that kind of access.

cvphoto158571.png

That splains it better, it was confusing till you spoke of using a hammer : ). My first years in the trade I did not have access to a lathe so winged it with what was on hand.

Thanks for the clear and detailed information. I like it! I have made several tools over the years for various jobs that have worked but don't look that good.

I've got a similar tool that I've had for decades, bought it from a tool truck. It has many size adapters and the driver/handle has a ball on the end that fits into a concave on the adapters so you can drive from different angles. That's just one of the plug tools I have. One other has adapters and the bent driver handle has a ball on the end but it also has a collar that the adapters can be attached to. The adapters have an external thread band and the collar threads to it so you can set the angle, tighten it all and drive the plug. Had to do quite a few plugs on cars and trucks through the years, some are challenging.

Impressive, most impressive. I don't have all the tooling to make something so professional like that, but I'm sure it comes in handy! Very innovative and easily replicated, thanks for sharing.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back