870 Case pto question

Redcows1287

New User
I'm looking at buying a 870 case tractor. It's been used very little for about 3 years now but was used for haying prior to that. My question is that pto is spinning regardless of where the pto lever is. They've sold most of their equipment so I don't have anything to hook it up to to see what it does under a load. I didn't try stopping it with my hands either when in the disengage position. What is the most likely cause of this? The pto brake? Or clutch? How big of a job would it be to fix? I don't want to buy it if It's going to need to be split open to fix. Thanks for any help!

First of all... Please never try to stop a spinning shaft by hand. A friend had his thumb tore off by grabbing a spinning pto
shaft.

As for the spinning PTO...the clutches and steels are likely warped from overheating, and the rear housing will have to be removed
to replace them. If the PTO lever is partially engaged under load, the clutches will burn up. Not a bad job once you have done
it a couple times. Also note that the pto engagement lever could be out of adjustment, a pressure check could be needed to
troubleshoot this.

Ranch

Check for cable movement. End that goes on the lever in the cab breaks off. Check for movement on the right side under the platform
below the shifting levers.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back